Using a Digital Mixer with Logic

swampstomper

I have been tasked with learning to use a Presonus 24.4.2 digital mixer primarily to be used for live sound reinforcement applications. I have decided to go about practicing with this mixer by connecting it to my Mac and using Logic to send audio tracks to and from the mixer via a firewire/thunderbolt connection. This is working out fairly well and I have been applying processing to the tracks both from the mixer and from plug-ins within Logic.

The mix is coming together and I'm starting to like what I hear. The problem I am having is I can't figure out how to bounce the entire mix containing the processing both from Logic and the mixer to a stereo audio file. Is there any way this can be done without making another AD/DA conversion or is my only choice to record from the analog main outs of the mixer?

I would like to be able to make a stereo file of exactly what I am hearing while staying within the digital domain if possible.

Thanks.

No. You can digitally record from all the outputs of the mixer. Obviously just select the input on the channel strip corresponding to channel strip on the mixer. When you select a Fat channel on the mixer there is "Dig Out" button on channel 3. If this button is not lit ( disabled) you will record the input with the mixers EQ and Fat Channel settings bypassed. If you this button is lit ( enabled ) you will record the mixers EQ and Fat Channel settings. It is sort a a( pre and post) mixer button for the specific channel you select.

For example... If I want to record channels 5 & 6 into logic. I would create two tracks and assign their inputs to 5 and 6. If I add add a delay effect to 5 and a high shelf EQ to 6 and then try to record with the Dig Out disabled ( on channels 5 and 6) - I will NOT record the delay or the Shelf (pass thru). If I enable the Dig Out on channels 5 & 6 - I will record those effect into Logic.

No. You can digitally record from all the outputs of the mixer. Obviously just select the input on the channel strip corresponding to channel strip on the mixer. When you select a Fat channel on the mixer there is "Dig Out" button on channel 3. If this button is not lit ( disabled) you will record the input with the mixers EQ and Fat Channel settings bypassed. If you this button is lit ( enabled ) you will record the mixers EQ and Fat Channel settings. It is sort a a( pre and post) mixer button for the specific channel you select.

For example... If I want to record channels 5 & 6 into logic. I would create two tracks and assign their inputs to 5 and 6. If I add add a delay effect to 5 and a high shelf EQ to 6 and then try to record with the Dig Out disabled ( on channels 5 and 6) - I will NOT record the delay or the Shelf (pass thru). If I enable the Dig Out on channels 5 & 6 - I will record those effect into Logic.

Thanks volovicg, I appreciate the reply. Perhaps I did not explain correctly. The problem I am having is not with recording audio into Logic. In this case I am working with prerecorded audio tracks. The issue is creating a stereo mix down that includes processing from the Presonus as well as plug-ins I have inserted in Logic.

Previous to the Presonus mixer I have been using a Mackie 2x2 interface. I am accustomed to seeing a Logic mixer layout like this:

379337873_ScreenShot2015-04-26at7_00_15AM.thumb.png.ae7793a96c33484ac653de2faaf50214.png

With the Presonus selected as the interface and audio tracks routed to channels on the Presonus I am seeing this:

1739790469_ScreenShot2015-04-26at7_02_06AM.thumb.png.bbbe61edcc5af58a696f7d1af3329ab3.png

The key difference as far as I can tell is that with the Presonus configuration I don't have a stereo output buss to bounce the entire mix from. I am not sure if this is an error on my part or simply a limitation of this particular configuration.

I have done some research into this and I understand that using a digital mixer to mix down audio with Logic is not really ideal. I am doing this as a training exercise primarily, but I would like to produce stereo mixes of the results while remaining in the digital domain if that is possible.

Perhaps it is me and I don't quite understand. Let me describe a couple of scenarios and maybe we can converge onto an answer.

You keep saying a "stereo mix down". It is unclear if you are trying to mix down the final stage in logic or the final stage to the mixer then record the stereo output of the Presonus.

1/ Normally - You would have your Logic channel strip inputs assigned to Presonus mixer channels. This combined with prerecorded material in logic would be your entire performance. If the "digital out" is enabled on the respective channel(s) strip on the Presonus than post audio processing of the input is and would be sent to Logic. You would do your stereo mix down in Logic. This is how I normally use the the Presonus with Logic.

2/ However if you want to send all your logic tracks to the Presonus and have the Presonus effects applied to them ( meaning the mixer is your final stage not Logic) and have them sent back to logic where you would be recording the final mix coming from the Presonus - Then I would enable enable the stereo output of last two channels to be routed back thru the firewire interface to Logic. This has to be setup via the Universal app (setup) on the mac to preconfigure the Presonus to mix all the channels down to stereo ( i.e. via 15 & 16) for the 16.0.2

Then selecting Channels 15 & 16 as the input channel source in Logic ( on the channel strips). This would record the final mix coming back from the Presonus. ( basically you can configure 15/16 as inputs on the presonus or as stereo outputs that mirror the "main outputs" only sent over the digital interface.)

3/ If you have no live inputs going into the Presonus and you are sending everything you need from Logic to the Presonus - Then I am really confused as there is no benefit to this as everything you are trying to get the Presonus to do in terms of effect processing can be done in Logic.

I don't see the advantage of doing it the second way when you have a DAW as the first way allows for overall mixing and mastering without using the Presonus. If one of the ways described above is your intended method - help me understand which one or if I completely missed answering your question and I can shoot your some screen prints on how to set it up

3/ If you have no live inputs going into the Presonus and you are sending everything you need from Logic to the Presonus - Then I am really confused as there is no benefit to this as everything you are trying to get the Presonus to do in terms of effect processing can be done in Logic.

I don't see the advantage of doing it the second way when you have a DAW as the first way allows for overall mixing and mastering without using the Presonus. If one of the ways described above is your intended method - help me understand which one or if I completely missed answering your question and I can shoot your some screen prints on how to set it up

Thank you volovicg. I did not have any live inputs going into the Presonus. I realize I could have accomplished the mix just using Logic, but the reason I was doing this was to familiarize myself with the Presonus. I downloaded a multi track project to practice with on the Presonus. Once I got it going I was hoping to create a stereo mix of exactly what I was hearing from the Control Room outputs. I was mixing levels and using some effects on the Presonus as well as plugins in Logic. In the end the only was I could figure out how to do this was to run from the Main Outputs of the Presonus to the inputs of a second interface, a Mackie Black Jack. It worked fine, but I was hoping to accomplish it without another AD/DA conversion.

On a related note, I have also had the same issue using the Presonus as described in the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81695

Even though I have assigned Core Audio to channels 25 and 26 (Tape Input) I find that channels 1 and 2 cannot be assigned to individual mono tracks. Any thoughts on that?

I did a little research and hopefully this will help you out.

1/ First my experience is with the 16.0.2 ,which is a bit different than the mixer you have. Concepts are same but execution of routing is slightly different.

2/ You have a studio live app which needs to have the main outputs mapped to 31/32.

Its the parameter in the lower right (S/PDIF output) - this is the main mix routed digitally (return) back over the firewire interface. Selecting channels 31/32 in Logic will record the output mixer without the need to take the analog outputs back through an A/D and into Logic.

One you have this configured in the Studio Live setup. Add one additional track to Logic (will be used to record the main outputs of the board), set its input to 31/32, record enable it and press play.

This should take all your recorded material, send it to the mixer and logic will digitally record the main outputs. ( I think this is what you are trying to test and verify?). The Dig Out still needs to be enabled for post EQ/Effect mix down.

Also attached is are two short youtube clips which I think will clear things up for you.

426066042_ScreenShot2015-05-03at11_55_33AM.png.64604ae8eb65baa0cee2859c2b2189ba.png

https://youtu.be/3VbT75Dm1zg Part 1 - then find part 2 and watch that.

Finally in talking about core audio with the Presonus - the reference is core audio "output". So for example if you wanted to play iTunes or youtube and record it digitally into the presonus - you would assign core audio to a stereo channel pair. On the 16.0.2 this is always channel 1/2 and cannot be changed. On you mixer I believe it is 17/18 - you will need to verify this. Make sure the firewire buttons are enabled.

I believe the videos above detail exactly what you are trying to do.

Let us know the results

Good Luck

2/ You have a studio live app which needs to have the main outputs mapped to 31/32.

I actually don't have a Studio Live app. The only software I have associated with the 24.4.2 is the Universal Control app I downloaded from the Presonus web site. I am not the original owner of this console so I don't have any of the software discs that may have come with it. The only software I see available for download are the UC app which I have installed and the Capture software, which I believe is simply a recording/playback app.

Your help is much appreciated.

Archived