Record from last position

kartatus

Hey !

After finding a lot of help here, I'm finally registered to ask my first question !

I come from Ableton Live and i've been accustomed to click on the record button and that the recording restarts from the last postion of the locator. It was really handy but I can't find how I can do it in LPx. I've search on the web and try every option of the record button by clicking left on it, but nothing.

Does anyone know how could I fix it ?

Thanks !

It should work.

Try this:

Hit record and record a few measures of music. (don't press stop)

Hit record again and you will start a new recording from the same place as before.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.1.1)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Yosemite 10.10.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

• 4 years later...

There are a few options to solve this properly:

Solution 1) In Logic Pro > Key Commands, the command "Play or Stop" is set to SPACE, which means that the space bar stops playback or recording, then when you press it again it plays from were you just stopped. If you are reading this thread then, like me you probably find that annoying. Thankfully there is another command called "Play or Stop and Go to Last Locate Position", which by default has no keyboard shortcut, but you can set your own shortcut to it - either with a new one or just with good old spacebar and replace the existing key command. Problem solved!

Solution 2) Another option is to right click on the stop/return to start button and tick "stop and go to last locate position". Now you can either buy a numpad keyboard and use the numpad 0 to stop playback instead of just hitting space (if you are using the numpad it makes sense to use numpad "enter" to play, numpad "." to pause and numpad "0" to stop (and return to last locate position)), or you can reassign the keyboard commands to something that doesn't require a numpad.

Hi Juxtaboy. I have the latest up to date version of logic and SPACE only stops the playhead, it does not start it again as you say. Pressing it again makes it jump back to the previous position which is really annoying if I just want to pause and then continue from the same place. I have tried everything to get the spacebar to function as a start stop button but with no luck. I don't want it jumping back all the time but can't seem to get around it.

Hi Juxtaboy. I have the latest up to date version of logic and SPACE only stops the playhead, it does not start it again as you say. Pressing it again makes it jump back to the previous position which is really annoying if I just want to pause and then continue from the same place. I have tried everything to get the spacebar to function as a start stop button but with no luck. I don't want it jumping back all the time but can't seem to get around it.

Choose Logic Pro X > Key Commands > Presets > U.S. to reset all your key commands to the default ones.

That is the normal behavior if you have cycle mode active you should disable cycle mode to make the space bar behaving as you want. By default hitting the space bar for the first time it will stop Logic from playback or recording, pressing a second time will resume playback from where you stopped it unless you have "cycle mode" active. In "cycle mode" if you press the space bar a second time it will play fom the begining of the cycle area, what you don't want.

I use three key commands to achieve logic to behave like an analog multitrack tape recorder.

1.- Set left locator rounding playhead position.

2.- Go to left locator.

3.- Play from left locator.

For me it is the most intuitive way to play/record again from the same position.

With keycommand 1 you can set the left locator to the position from where you want to work in, even while logic is playing.

Once you set the left locator at the desired position use the keycommand 2 to return to it or keycommand 3 to play from there.

In your case to repeat recording from same position you just need two hits : with logic stopped hit keycommand 2 and then hit record.

Keycommand 3 would be useful for when you are adjusting

EQ, Reverbs, Compression or whatever. Just hit the assigned key every time you want Logic to go back to the left locator position while it is playing, you dont have to stop it.

• 2 years later...
On 2/21/2020 at 4:51 AM, juxtaboy said:

Thankfully there is another command called "Play or Stop and Go to Last Locate Position", which by default has no keyboard shortcut, but you can set your own shortcut to it - either with a new one or just with good old spacebar and replace the existing key command. Problem solved!

This is the solution for Pro Tools converts like myself!! Thank you!!!!!! Just do this and when you hit the spacebar during play or record it jumps back to where it started. 

Edited by Amazingly Andrew
Accidentally typed my part in the quoted part
  • Like 1