Clicks and pops after a couple hours of recording.

tedyoder

Hey everyone,

I've got a problem and it has followed me from multiple computers and upgrades.

I use an Apogee Duet Firewire and Logic X. Here's the issue.

After recording audio for about 2 hours I start to get these pops and clicks from the input of one or both of my channels. I've isolated the problem enough to know it does not come from my Duet so it has to be somewhere in my DAW settings. The clicks get recorded and are only happening when the mic picks up some noise be it instrument or just me clapping. The clicking does not occur when there is no noise entering the mic.

At one point Apogee told me to decrease my buffer size to 64 and it seemed to work for awhile. Then it came back. My buffer is now set to 156, and I'm at 24bit, 44.1kHz. I read somewhere I should up the sample rate to at least 48kHz. Any thoughts for me? I know it's not my Duet and I know my computer has enough power to do what I'm asking of it. I'm just not sure where the breakdown is in my settings.

Thanks in advance.

If it takes this long for the issue to manifest, the best "solution" could well be to just reboot your Mac.

And which Mac is that? It would help if you could add your system specs. I bet you're no longer using a Powerbook G4...

843941710_pic2015-05-01at12_06_04.PNG.7d327a9944cded64c47e8b209ab25641.PNG

So...

click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.5)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.6 GHz Intel i5)

• Memory (e.g. 8 GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

* relevant external disks or secondairy internal disks

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Please also list whatever you own of those:

• MIDI controller(s), (hardware) synths, soundmodules, other MIDI-using hardware, external processing equipment, etc.

Are you recording to the internal drive?

No I have an external. 7200RPM 500 GB. I'm assuming at this point that my Mac is having to work too hard and is spiking after a couple of hours of tracking. Would it help if I increased the buffer size and then switched the monitoring in my Maestro software? I have it set right now to monitor what's being recorded. Am I making sense?

Ah, well, that might be it. USB uses processor cycles (sometimes half the CPU load is just the USB protocol working). A better approach would be to record to your SSD, and to move (= copy, then delete original) finished projects over to your USB disk (to manage the precious SSD-space).

Ah, well, that might be it. USB uses processor cycles (sometimes half the CPU load is just the USB protocol working). A better approach would be to record to your SSD, and to move (= copy, then delete original) finished projects over to your USB disk (to manage the precious SSD-space).

+1

Wow, Thanks guys. Really appreciate the advice. I had a hard day of tracking yesterday because of this and I need it to be fixed.

I was experiencing similar issues - clicking and crackling sounds that seemed to increase with the amount of time that I was working. For me - it turned out to be because my firewire interface (Presonus Firebox) because Presonus decide to not update drivers for it, wasn't happy with Apple's newest OS s - or even the last couple of OSXs.

I upgraded to a MOTU 828MK3 hybrid (Firewire and USB) - which is not a new interface - but is supported by MOTU with current drivers for Apple's modern OSX 10… and all my problems are gone.

Your problem could possibly be related to the drivers for your audi interface.