MacBooks and Logic

Evening all,

I need some advice, or perhaps just some moral support on my next mac (I currently have a PowerBook G4 12").

Given my limited budget, would I be entirely nuts to shell out for a MacBook (2.16, 2Gigs of RAM) to run Logic Pro as my main and pretty much only app?

I see from earlier posts (that one discussing MacBook Pros especially) that the MacBook is a generally a kick ass machine, so basically I just want to know how much ass we're talking...

Thanks

Hey there! The Macbook Pro is one of the best investments I have ever made. at least half of the music that I have written in the past year has been done from start to finish on a Macbook Pro. The first three remixes on my Myspace page are good examples. Everything was mixed on the Macbook Pro, there were only a few Analog keyboard lines recorded into the Macbook through my interface. This is truly the machine to get for the electronic music producer.

-Adrian Roberts

OGC

www.myspace.com/organicgroovecontinuum :D

Just the thread I was looking for however...

I want to get a macbook for the portability aspect, so I can still work on ideas etc when not at home. I already have a Dual 1.8 G5 and I just want to check, am I going to have any compatability issues relating to transfering logic/ ableton / reason files due to one being Intel? The G5 is running 10.4 already (I think).

Probably a stupid question but I dont know the answer to it so help is appreciated.

I just finished transferring all my files from an old dual 1.25 g4 to a Macbook pro. No issues so far going from PPC to Intel. I have heard there may be trouble going the other way but it is usually because the PPC logic machine doesn't have the newest version installed. FWIW I am simply blown away by the MBP. I can throw anything at it and even on the onboard sound it just keeps going. Im waiting for those seagate 7200.11's to launch so I can hook up a pair of enclosures for back up and scratch. Surprisingly, the 5400 rpm drive that came with it can keep up with most all of my tracking/playback needs.

The expresscard 34 slot on the MBP is extremely nice as it allows you to put in a couple of eSATA ports for some blazingly fast enclosure speeds. That said from my tinkering the Macbook would still be a solid workhorse and better than any G4 and most G5's.