Score TAB : Changing Channels without damaging layout

Boudewijn

1637778089_snapscore.png.984d5a997b56e9c3f27907ec08745c23.png

snap score

Hello Dear Score-Experts,

TAB-part : If I change the 5th position E into a open string E on beat 3 bar 1 by changing its channel, the layout of the normal score is damaged as you can see in the second picture.

Can somebody tell me how to avoid that ?

In other words : Is it possible to treat the TAB independent from the normal score-line?

In the normal score-line I use two voices (channel 1 and 2) to keep the basspart and melodypart separate from eachother.

(alternating bass-fingerpickingstyle).

Thx for your help !! Cheers Boudewijn

Force interpretation off for that note, invert the stem direction and that should fix it. When you create a new note on a voice depending on your display quantization it makes the note longer than it really is. It doesn't happen on the other note because that voice is intermixed with other notes in the same measure (and voice) and govern by the rules of interpretation given your DQ settings and those notes.

If that doesn't work let us know and will explain how to make them independent staves

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately your solution doesn't work. I tried it earlier exactly in the same way already....

If I change the channel for that particular note into '1' with the instructions you gave, the E-note will be understood as a bassnote instead of a melodynote. Logic doesn't see an event at that melody-spot on channel '2' and writes down a rest.

That's not how I want it.

Just to be clear :

I took channel 1 for all the bassnotes and channel 2 for the melody in 'Staffstyles'

I hope you can show me the other way as you said already

Groet, Boudewijn, The Netherlands

=====================

Logic 10.1.1

OSX 10.10.3

Please reread my instructions - I did not indicate anything related to changing a midi channel.

My advice applies to what you had already done ( you already changed the midi channel and the layout is unexpected)...start there and follows the above. The rest can be removed in the staff style. Sorry I am at the airport and can't type a lengthy message.

Open the staff style ( layout->staff style) and on the midi channel your new note is assigned- under rests->hide rests and it will not be displayed. You are so close....

1/ flip the stem

2/ double click the note or select it and go to functions and defeat interpretation for that note

3/ if it is still a quarter note... Just shorten it

4/ staff style - voice where not is assigned - hide rests

OK I see your issue. Doing it my way works fine except for the stem direction based on same voice (my misunderstanding in reviewing your issue). The key to this is how you set up your staff style....

Attached is the staff style configuration and the notation. I believe the notation is what you are looking for. Please confirm?

Once you have a staff style setup as shown (be sure to apply it if you duplicate or create a new one)...

Here is the channel configuration....

1/ All the base (Low) notes are on Channel 3

2/ All the melody (high) notes are on Channel 2

3/ Except for the High E note which is Channel 1 ( required to display as an open string and voiced independently from the bass notes ).

That should work for you :lol:

412231548_ScreenShot2015-05-02at11_56_26PM.png.ebc27c8db92cf061340c3d0f3e4b3ed6.png

Notation they way you want it to look

1387933658_ScreenShot2015-05-02at11_59_33PM.thumb.png.9728e749080639e63a2d106ec67c0fd1.png

required staff style configuration

I really do appriciate your effort to help me !

wow.

I'm gonna copie your staff-style set up and see what happens.

But :

I might surely come to new problems if there are other notes that need a different position on the fretboard of the guitar.

Do I have to follow the same concept?

Somehow I think there has to be an easier way to solve this probem.

In the past I used but one voice inside bars without seperating bass and treble and made guitarsheets that not completely looked the way that it must sound.

If I changed channels nothing bad happened.

Now I want to professionalize my scores for selling-purposes, both TAB and notes and stuck on these issues....

If you are interested :

The example I posted is the beginning of my intermediate fingerstyle-arrangement of John Mayer's 'Badge and Gun'

Cheers

251856819_Setupstaffstyleresult.thumb.png.3a0b284c3343fa733d0e1833a828d3fc.png

We getting somewhere..

I followed your steps and used the staffstyle you showed me.

Still I had to make some tiny changes to make it suitable. But I'm beginning to underdstand how I can put things my way.

So your help is very usefull for me !

In the attachement you can see what my adjustments were to get the actual visual result.

With other notes along the arrangement that I want to adjust I try to follow your 'interpretation-steps' and that works fine till this point.

Other helpfull comments are welcome !

Groet from Holland, Boudewijn

44406964_Newissues.thumb.png.c84cd8adcbabecf002c53b1bc4d702c9.png

As I expected I come across new problems displaying all the notes in both score and TAB.

in the attachement I give four examples of it : A B C and D

example A

The low F doesn’t occure in the TAB because of its channelchoice 3

If I change it into it’s proper channel 1 the melodynotes dissapear

example B

The low G can’t get the proper stemdirection. It is linked to the melodynotes above it because the melody needs also channel 1 because of the fingerboardposition.

example C

The melody-notes should last the whole bar. I can’t manage to do that.

example D

How can I change the stemdirection of the low A without changing the openstring-position?

I think I have to start using a totall different procedure for smooth guitarsheet-making in Logic but I don't know where to find it.

Or isn't it available in Logic ?

Can somebody give me some clues?

THX AGAIN !

Boudewijn, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

First I am not a guitar player and don't do tab notation - so others may know more given their experience than I...

I wanted to show you it can be done the way you are doing it ( single track - single staff style - two clefs ). I will tell you that it may be easier for you to treat the staves independently and manage them separately (that is what I would do) - it will not lead to some of the issues you are having where you have to deal with doing something on one staff negatively affecting the other. I can help you with that down the road if you want to pursue it. For now let's keep doing it your way and work through it....

Anyways - attached is a screen shot of what you want and I have uploaded the logic project so you can see the channel assignments.

241738588_ScreenShot2015-05-03at11_01_16AM.thumb.png.299619dffdfa0b2e5fc4f6fbd70b6506.png

In response to your additional questions.....

A - Top two notes on channel 1, Low F on channel 2

B- Make the low E independent and switch stem direction

C- Turn on duration bars and extend the high eighth note by 4 beats ( take notice of the channel assignments) or you can use the piano roll, etc.

D- Make the low A independent and switch the stem direction.

Cool stuff for me as you got me playing with guitar tabs!

LogicProHelp Tab Test.logicx.zip

680915646_pdfsamplescore.png.828d3b7a94d428b05ef2fc13ff6759de.pngYou're so kind and helpfull ! Thanks !

Meanwhile I came across the independent-button. Indeed that helps a lot to produce the things I want ( and you already do...)

At this moment I'm left with two more question :

1. How do you manage to display the same independent note with stem in the normal scorepart and without stem in the TAB ?

I already accepted that it wasn't possible and decided to give all the TAB-notes staves.

But now I'm amazed to see you do it ! How ?

2. Actually an other topic but I ask you directedly because you know a lot :

As I print my (TAB-)scores or as I save it as pdf there appear small, vague, rectangular, grey backgrounds behind the numbers of the TAB.

Funny enough you don't see it in Logic itself.

In the attachement you can see a sample of what I mean.

I'm gonna make a new topic to see if there are more people with the same problem.

A year ago I already contacted Apple for this irritating bug and they took notice of it promissing to fix it soon.

It appears that few people seem to make fuzz about it because the bug still exists.

Do you have an idea ?

cheers

[attachment=0]pdf sample score.png[/attachment]You're so kind and helpfull ! Thanks !

1. How do you manage to display the same independent note with stem in the normal scorepart and without stem in the TAB ?

I already accepted that it wasn't possible and decided to give all the TAB-notes staves.

But now I'm amazed to see you do it ! How ?

I think there is a bug associated with this. But I have found a workaround in that if I first move the stem direction where I want it first, then make independent second - If I do it in that order - I don't get the stem in the tab. if you have three notes all on channel 1 with all stems up and you want the stem on the bass note to go down here is my process.

1/ select all notes and make stems go down for all three.

2/ make bass note independent ( stem direction is now correct for the bass note and no stem in tab)

3/ select top two notes where stem is going down (wrong way) - option/control/up arrow - moves stems to top. Viola! all works an no stems in tab.

2. Actually an other topic but I ask you directedly because you know a lot :

As I print my (TAB-)scores or as I save it as pdf there appear small, vague, rectangular, grey backgrounds behind the numbers of the TAB.

Funny enough you don't see it in Logic itself.

In the attachement you can see a sample of what I mean.

I'm gonna make a new topic to see if there are more people with the same problem.

A year ago I already contacted Apple for this irritating bug and they took notice of it promissing to fix it soon.

It appears that few people seem to make fuzz about it because the bug still exists.

Do you have an idea ?

Nope - I do not know of anyway to eliminate this effect - I have tried printing in black and white, etc. I believe it is a bug that requires fixing unless someone else knows a way to correct it.

Attached is a logic project for you to experiment with where each staff is independent. This is an alternative methodology to the way you were doing it.

Staff style for the treble(staff 1) is called Boudewijn-S1

Staff style for the guitar tab (staff 2) is called..... you guessed it... Boudweijn-S2

There is also a score set called Boudewijn Score Set ( make sure you use this to view your score)

Each staff can be modified independently without affecting the other - The downside is you have to enter notes twice ( one in each staff) - the upside is no more confusing midi channel conflicts and/or stem direction issues where changes in one staff negatively affect the other.

Both strategies work - I think I have proven that to you - it is whatever your are most comfortable with.

I just wanted to close out this thread with providing you this attachment as indicated early on.

Have Fun!

674123702_ScreenShot2015-05-03at8_23_36PM.thumb.png.1960b7e8c1d90a901f95e50990c84b00.png

Two Staff Guitar Tab.logicx.zip

Two (Independent) Staff Logic Project

independent.thumb.png.8227ee56c5a81d77969c34f0d00c0d21.pngWell, you gave me the best logic-guitar-sheet-tutorial I could imagine !

Many thanks.

Finally I use your last option to treat score and tab independent and making use of a scoreset (never done that before).

Indeed that gives me the most freedom to handle the stuff the way I want.

In the attachement you can see the result.

If you like it I can send you the complete arrangement when I'm finished.

That's the least I can do in return...

Nice meeting you !

Groet, Boudewijn