Punch replace bug/user error? Logic 9.1.8

The Flame

I have a question about punch on the fly in logic. I use it all the time, mainly in replace mode and it makes my workflow so much easier, but there is a strange thing that happens on about 20% of my sessions that i cant seem to work around.

While punching on the fly in Replace mode, sometimes the older regions (the old take) does

not get replaced, and the new region overlaps on top. Any edit to remedy this causes a huge confusing crossfade between the takes, and clicking on the region shows a hybrid form of the mess (some combo of older takes and newer takes overlappinng)

With a single track there in an easy fix,

Drag the new region(new take) to a new track, and manually erase what should have been replaced in the first place. With drum tracks this can be a headache. Anyone experienced this?, and its that it is an intermittent problem that worries me. Any help would be much appreciated to solve this problem once and for for all! Thanks in advance,

Josh

I believe this is caused by the fact you are not selecting the midi region before you start.

I assume in settings you have " join with selected region" as such you need to select the region you want to merge with before your press record. If not it will create a new midi region on on top of the other.

You can always joint the two regions after the fact by selecting both regions and clicking join. This is best done in the events list as you may not see one of the regions as it lies beneath the other. if you had clicked on the longer region.

It is not a bug

You can test this by recording your punch with the region selected then then again with it not selected and compare the results.

Thanks so much for the reply volovicg. I am defintely going to try to see if selecting the regions give me different outcomes.

I only work with audio regions, and im guessing the same rules apply for audio and midi regarding settings when punching on the fly?

I am also (with an 80% or so success rate) trying to keep the new takes as new regions, this way there is no overlap, and i can bring back part of the old take for editing/crossfading.

And if i wanted to alter my "join with selected regions" setting, where would i go about changing that, to experiment?

Again thanks again for the help!

Edited by The Flame

• 1 month later...

I think i solved this problem. The trick seems to be:

When punching in on the fly, the region to be replaced gets highlighted in black; the trick is to NOT CLICK the region when the record button is on and the playhead is moving. If clicked (and the black highlighted border goes away), it tends to tell logic to create a new region on top of the existing region, which creates an overlap which is difficult to edit.

Hope that helps anyone who had the same problem as me! Thanks!