external drive for projects & audio files hhd?

Ive been pointed several places that I should be keeping logic progects on a dedicated, separate drive to my system drive, therefore

Im looking to buy a firewire 800(only slot free on machine) external drive for this purpose of storing project folders, will any firewire 800 hhd be acceptable or is there options superior for this job, to be considered instead or aswell?

My advice is to find a FW800 SATA 3.5 enclosure and then buy a normal 7200 RPM drive to pair it with.

This way you have total control over which drive that is included.

But it also depends on which computer you have.

I would prefer USB 3 over FW if your machine can handle it.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.1.1)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Yosemite 10.10.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

hey does this mean that you can buy one all "complete" but it might not be up to spec, I did read apple recommends 7200rpm

are you suggesting it is hard to find a hd 7200rpm as is, that you have to do as you suggested, or do u mean a superior brand over something else in an enclosure, or is it cheaper or something, Id have to use firewire 800, my computer is usb2......

so once I get a 7200rpm backup disk, that will be fine?

can you elaborate why Id need to get an enclose sepaetely to the drive component??

ps would an external ssd be better.. I plan on getting my internal hdd replaced with a 1Tb ssd at some point, would that swap down the line also improve logic preformance by the way it would be good if it did, but it would be a luxory alteration for more free space at this point but if that also helps logic preformance I might speed up when I get that done, so same with external hhd or ssd be better?

Eric recommended enclosure and disk bought separately because then you have full control over what disk is in the enclosure, and you can even swap out disks (for backups).

Sometimes they use 5400 RPM in externals, and sometimes there's a "green" disk inside ("green" disks spin down more often and therefore may give you the rainbow wheel from time to time, which can be very annoying/disrupting.)

If you get a 1 TB SSD you would not need an external disk for recording, just one (or more) for backups (which can be USB2).

If you get an enclosure (you still can/should), find one with FireWire and USB3 (and maybe even ThunderBolt, FireWires' "successor"). Slightly more futureproof, and USB3 is noticeable faster than USB2, which can make a significant difference when backing up many GB's.

@Eriksimon.

Thanks. That was pretty much what I was thinking.

hey does this mean that you can buy one all "complete" but it might not be up to spec, I did read apple recommends 7200rpm

are you suggesting it is hard to find a hd 7200rpm as is, that you have to do as you suggested, or do u mean a superior brand over something else in an enclosure, or is it cheaper or something, Id have to use firewire 800, my computer is usb2......

so once I get a 7200rpm backup disk, that will be fine?

can you elaborate why Id need to get an enclose sepaetely to the drive component??

There can be issues with both controller cards inside some external drives (I'm thinking mostly about the WD enclosures that went to sleep by themselves after 20 minutes...) and with sub-par drives.

ps would an external ssd be better..

... not really.

First of all, and SSD is not really needed for audio recording unless you just like the speed it takes for a project to load into RAM.

Secondly, FW800 is way too slow. It won't even accommodate for the speed of a modern 7200 RPM drive.

My advice would be to save up to the SSD for internal use and an 3,5" enclosure. You can then use your old disk externally and the SSD as system and project drive at the same time.

ok so firewire 800 is not going to cut it for a 7200rpm external drive for project folders?

I thought above you said it was fine first...only that u favoured usb3 which my computer does not support...

so, Im left with an internal ssd, which I happened to be thinking about anyway but I was starting to drift from the idea as more expensive than external hd-& I believed it wouldnt improve my "bottleneck" issue going on with frozen tracks draining to my HD resources for the audio files within a project.........at same time my cpu is spiking but I ve just added more ram to improve things hopefully......

so actually exactly what I was thinking, an internal ssd of 1tb means this is a better soltuion than having project files seperate on an external drive, basically my last track had 10 frozen channels, and using two auxs for fxs kept giving me playback issues and spikes causing error windows and track halting, Ive just added an extra 2 gb ram as its quite an old imac mid2007 so now its has 6 gb ram,

I could have sworn that the next thing to try was specfically an external drive @ 7200rpm for project folders..

I can do the save for t he internal ssd if this is the better option for optimising the machine I have for my logic work......

ok so firewire 800 is not going to cut it for a 7200rpm external drive for project folders?

That's not what I meant.

What I'm saying is that the bottleneck will be the FW800 connection.

It will work just fine for a project drive.

an internal ssd of 1tb means this is a better soltuion than having project files separate on an external drive

It has it's advantages as you will not need additional I/O to work.

I can do the save for t he internal ssd if this is the better option for optimising the machine I have for my logic work......

It's a pretty old machine you've got there.

You have to decide on how much more money you want to spend on it.

Maybe it's a wiser decision to just buy a cheap FW800 drive and start saving for a new computer instead?