MOTIF XF8 MIDI-Audio Multitimbral Problem

solersystem

Hi guys,

I have a MOTIF XF8 (you can see my configuration in my signature).

I'm using External Instrument and have set up the MIDI Channels and Audio Inputs. ( Stereo Inputs, and MIDI Channels 1,2, etc for different sounds of the MOTIF).

My problem is that when I add more than one MIDI channel, one of the instruments gets its sounds cut off if they sound simultaneously (I assume that they're interfering with each other?). For example, I have a Kick drum on channel 1, and an Bass on channel 2. When they play together, they don't play nice and some of the sounds from the Bass are just not sounding at all.

Also, if I use the faders in Logic, they don't work quite right. I can't seem to completely lower the fader for one because the signal seems to be in the other channel as well. If I use the faders on the Motif (Volume 1 fader for Channel 1, and so on) all the tracks seem to get affected. It requires some playing around with those faders (moving them completely down and other voodoo stuff like that) to get it to mix correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

You are attempting to use the External Instrument for multitimbral mode however, you do not have an interface which can really take advantage of it. If you had the FW16E, of course- no problem but with just a stereo output, and the Motif's Assignable Outs (if you are using them), you must setup the External Instrument channels so that only one of them is contributing to Logic's input bus (Two, if you are utilizing the Motif's Assignable Outs).. Otherwise, you get a redundant signal. I believe that is the large part of what you are

experiencing.

One other thing, I don't have Logic open at the moment however, I believe the faders in the E.I. are in fact audio faders and not MIDI faders. So, in contrast to an External MIDI track, where the faders control MIDI volume and by extension the MIDI volume of the track in Logic's Mixer, in the E.I., they address the incoming audio signal only... [someone else can chime in here but, I am certain that is the case.

So, recapping- every Motif Channel gets its own E.I. set to its corresponding MIDI Channel. Each one however does not and should not be assigned an input. (I believe you can turn them off- I have more experience with L9 E.I's. I just prefer them over their LX incarnations). If using just the stereo output of the Motif assign just one External Instrument Track with an input. If using the Assignable Outs, assign a second track.

So, this means that I either get the FW16E (like my heart doesn't want it already) or I record the MOTIF instruments one by one, then bouncing them to tracks and so on. Correct?

I guessed something like this might be happening but I couldn't figure it out from the manual itself (or just didn't see that part).

Thanks for the quick reply.

As mentioned, you can bounce them 2x2 utilizing the Assignable Outs. Or as a stereo mix. But you are limited to the outputs of the Motif and the inputs of the audio interface. The FW16E does increase the Motif's outs to 16 mono or eight stereo pairs. As a time saver, it's more than worth it. If, it is really that important to you to record the Motif's instruments as opposed to software synths and v.i.'s. Then again, recording 1x1 or 2x2 really forces you to listen to and evaluate the individual parts.

If you are a perfectionist, as I am that may not be such a good thing... :)