10.1 Region Automation Issue

hudders.udders

Hey all

Having a bit of trouble with the new region automation feature in the 10.1 update.

I have an audio bass track with some visible track automation (under many different parameters) and I am trying to copy that region along with the automation to a point further along in the project, using the new region automation tab.

What I assumed you would do is to change the little yellow tab from track to region and then simply copy/paste the region somewhere else and hey presto!

But that doesn't seem to be the case... When I do this and play back the copied region, there is no sign of any audible automation. And when I change the tab back to track, I notice that no automation has been copied there.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me :?

What I assumed you would do is to change the little yellow tab from track to region and then simply copy/paste the region somewhere else and hey presto!

Almost right! Just leave out "change the little yellow tab from track to region and then " and you're there!

You don't have to change anything, automation will be copied. There is a preference setting for copying regions with or without (track) automation. Make sure it is set to either "on" or "ask". I believe by default it is set to "on".

357625526_Movetrackautomation....png.79fcdc97b44d6aecc2bc5a5cee85a125.png

At the moment I have the preferences set to "ask" and this has been working OK for me, it's just a little tedious every time the pop up window comes up.

I thought that the new Track/Region tab was a sort of alternative to the "ask" setting. Or does this only work when your moving the region rather than copying/pasting?

No, region automation are MIDI (performance) messages, they get played live and recorded (and copypasted when editing) just like/together with MIDI notes.

Track automation is a complete separate "beast", with it's own "recording" and "playback" settings (Latch and Read).

What can be confusing is that track automation can be controlled via MIDI messages, and they can both be converted into "eachother". So the way you now do it is missing a vital step: the conversion of track automation to region automation.

That tab can be useful if you use both types of automation, since a MIDI performance rarely only consists of notes (most common other MIDI controller messages are sustain (64) and modulation (1), but also breath control (2) and expression (11). There are many more though.)