high frequency whistling sound on synths

I am using a soft synth (sylenth) to create a trance lead, and seem to always have to cut these high pitched whistling sounds with EQ when certain notes are played. Is there any way to get around this? As i dont want to keep cutting as the sound becomes very thin. Is this down to the actually sound design of my synths or is this a normal problem?

• 1 month later...
Hard to tell what it is. I don't have "strange" noises with Sylenth. First thought was that it is the sound itself. Does the exact same noise happen with all presets? Could you attach a screenshot with a spectrum analyzer? Get the free Voxengo SPAN for that, if you don't have a good one with a big or resizable window (like Logic's meter) ;) Or you can use the channel EQ.

First, db is right: "hard to tell".

I don't have Sylenth, but by the look of its interface it is a normal subtractive synth with some modulation matrixes and some onboard effects.

1073987435_pic2015-06-19at10_59_57.PNG.da72cd0e7b765fb6e8300acccb84515f.PNG

Try fuddling with the filters' resonance and keytrack settings, and check all active effects (esp. any feedback or resonance settings).

The answer to your last question is simple: of course it has to do with the design of that synth, and it is not a problem, it is very very likely what is supposed to happen with all the parameters of your synth set as they are now. It is clearly a matter of knowing the architecture of your synth and how to use it. Or: I am pretty certain there is nothing wrong with the instrument.

Ok i will try to lower the resonance. It is most defiantely more common with the brighter/higher frequency synth sounds, almost always i have to cut finely at around the 500 Hz to 2000 Hz region, and when i cut one section, the other high frequency sounds are more noticeable. Bass sounds i rarely have to cut, apart from the low end. Yes most presets deft_bonz, a high pitched whistley sound, when the melody/riff goes up a note or two it seems. Thanks for the answers