A score-related question about tempo markings

Ginge70

I have had some good help here lately, and I'm trying again:

I have a bunch of scores that I need to convert to individual parts. Is there a way to add tempo markings to the header area rather than attach it to a single voice? The thing is, when making the score I put the tempo symbol in the uppermost voice, usually the piccolo. When I convert to parts I then have to copy the tempo symbol to all the other staves, not a big deal with one score, but when you are making a lot of these you start wondering if there might be an easier way to do this. Also, in scores where you have several tempo shifts the potential for leaving some of them out in the parts is growing proportionally with the amount of parts you are doing pr. day. Can tempo symbols not be made global and not attached to a single voice?

Best regards,

Ginge

I have a bunch of scores that I need to convert to individual parts. Is there a way to add tempo markings to the header area rather than attach it to a single voice? The thing is, when making the score I put the tempo symbol in the uppermost voice, usually the piccolo. When I convert to parts I then have to copy the tempo symbol to all the other staves, not a big deal with one score, but when you are making a lot of these you start wondering if there might be an easier way to do this.

Yes it can be done - but it is not easy as it involves creating a track with a dummy region with a staff style that hides the staff.( I will verify when I get home). But I think it will be more of a kludgey trick and not elegant.

Tempo marking are meta events tied to a staff and position. I am not aware of away to detach them from an assigned staff.

However, would it not make more sense to make the tempo marking" text" I.e. Tempo = 120 and set it up in the free zone so it its relative position will not change based on what staffs your pick for your parts? That would be my recommendation.

Also, in scores where you have several tempo shifts the potential for leaving some of them out in the parts is growing proportionally with the amount of parts you are doing pr. day. Can tempo symbols not be made global

Could you clarify what you mean by tempo shifts and leaving them out....

Those are good suggestions! By tempo shift I mean a sudden, new tempo, not a gradual change, that needs to be noted in the score and in the parts. The problem with using text in the free zone is that this will be fixed to the point where you place it in the score. So when you go into the single parts the tempo marking will not be where the tempo actually changes. This is not an issue if you have only one tempo.

By " potential for leaving some of them out" I simply meant that when you are making parts from a large number of scores, the chance of missing tempo changes not at the beginning of the score increases by each part you prepare.

I wasn't aware of the "paste multiple" key command, so that is what I am using now. It beats pasting tempos one by one, but what would be really cool is if one didn't have to save a new project for the parts layout (which you have to do if you paste tempos all over). In that way you wouldn't have to go back to the score project and fix whatever typos you find while preparing the parts. I don't know about you, but I find typos all the time.

I'll have to try out that other suggestion.

Thanks for helping!

I completely understand - thanks for clarifying. I think the way you described is the best way for meta events in a region. In this case I might suggest (so you don't miss any in the middle of a piece) that prior to your execution of the copy - you select the tempo event at the top or anywhere in the piece, hit shift s,->to select all other tempo events in the piece and then use Paste Multiple at Original Position. This way you will grab them all and place them where they belong without having to identify each one in advance.

Yes sometimes I have more typos than not :oops: