How much CPU is each plugin using?

theupgrade

Also, keep in mind plug-ins may be using more or less CPU depending on how they are being used.

I am pretty sure that Reaktor 5 is killing me softly. Whenever I use it I get system overload message. It would be nice to confirm my suspicion.

Reaktor is a good example of a plugin that can be as heavy as you want (or don't want) because it is modular. So every module adds a certain amount of CPU load that also depends on how that module is fed, or what it feeds to, or how it is connected to other modules, plus of course the fact that the number of voices also directly relates to CPU load.

You can only measure the CPU load of FX plugins and software instrument plugins under precisely defined conditions, in other words: you can measure the CPU load of a certain preset, if it is an instrument it must be a preset playing a fixed number of voices.

It is doable to some degree, but it is a Herculean task to "map" all fx and instrument plugins that way, and it really will not help too much. I once spent an afternoon measuring plugins' (relative) CPU loads, and though I did learn from it, the actual results were not very useful. I already knew that reverb A was much easier on the CPU than reverb B, and that Sculpture was per voice more demanding on the CPU than most subtractive synths (ES1, ES2, Alpha). The bottom line is simple: you use that which you think you need for a certain sound, and the CPU load is irrelevant. If it overloads, I'll freeze or BIP some tracks until it clears.

• 4 years later...

I don't know about Pro Q3's CPU resource requirement, however in computer world, there is an ever growing power tendency going on since its very beginning.

While CPU providers improve their hardware to get them ever more powerful in order to meet (and ideally exceed) the current software performance requirements.

While software developers try to pull every drop of power out of the CPU they can, to achieve higher performance standards in order to surpass their competitors, which inevitably (sooner than later) reaches the available CPU power limits. And the cycle restart or keeps going on as it is fed by the customer's demand for same.

Of course in the meantime, everyone is trying its best to manage with what is already available, but that last just for a relative short while...

• 7 months later...

Beware of assuming additional CPU will enable more voices/instances etc. - CPU upgrades can make your system slower... let me explain...

Imagine a car... it takes you to London in an hour. Obviously if you get a car that's twice as fast it'll get you there in half the time, right? Not if something other than the speed is the issue (only one lane open say)... in fact could make it worse as you might arrive at traffic faster that you otherwise would have missed.

Similarly with a computer if the limiting resource is memory or disk speed then no amount of additional CPU will help.... in fact it can just make faster requests for the constrained resource causing more queuing in the system.... making it go slower!

Morale is to know what is the constraining resource and address that

Also, keep in mind plug-ins may be using more or less CPU depending on how they are being used.

I am pretty sure that Reaktor 5 is killing me softly. Whenever I use it I get system overload message. It would be nice to confirm my suspicion.

In my experience Reaktor and Kontakt are quite processor intensive. Kontakt also may want to load many GB of samples to operate, say a 1928 Steinway that is 12 GB or more deep. So I also find, like you, that I can tell when I load these that I'm pushing my machine; latency suffers a bit, and Logic responds more slowly to my commands. If you load a standard Channel EQ, by comparison... the machine doesn't even flinch. It's clear you could load them all day. I'm curious how often you freeze stuff, to work around this issue. Have you found it helpful?

• 2 months later...
I was thinking about adding Pro Q3 to each track in my templates. If the difference is not that much from Logic's stock EQ I'd go ahead and do it, but don't want to waste time.

Hi there, I believe somewhere I heard the Pro-Q being stated as able to have hundreds of instances with little CPU impact. Again, it has 3 modes that it can operate in, that will lead to more or less CPU usage, but having used it for a while, I can confirm that it has a negligible CPU impact.