Logic 5.1 & authoring a Surround DVD

Dick the Flick

Hello all

I just did an LPH forum search about "Authoring 5.1 audio on DVD".(either AC3 Dolby Digital or DVD Audio or whatever?) But I can only find entries before 2007 where it's discussed. At the time it seemed to be not in common practise and I wonder if anyone has looked at this recently?

What I wanted to do was put a series of 5.1 tracks on a DVD to use as a demo for something that is very surround specific but as yet there are no pictures involved. I thought in its simplest form, I might be able to just play back my material somewhere with a domestic DVD player and a surround system or going upmarket perhaps a Blu Ray player?!!

I'm not sure if DVD Audio has ever really taken off but know that some big rock bands have released stuff in a surround format.

I think I need to find a format that's common place.

Whenever I've looked at this in the past, there is mention of Compressor (that came with Logic) or DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro but to be honest I've never really had the need to seriously have a go.

Has anyone done this successfully?

Many thanks in anticipation

Dick

Pretty please ..... ?

Has nobody made a DVD from a 5.1 track generated in Logic? (see above)

I'm guessing the problem maybe that at the very least none of the standard OSX dvd apps (iMovie / iDVD etc) will handle 5.1 audio files?

Anyone ? ;-(

Hello ,

to use your 5.1tracks on a DVD project you can use Compressor to encode it .

( https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1.6/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=39%26section=15%26tasks=true )

I never did that , and therefore cannot comment on how well compressor does this , or what kind of workflow/preparation is necessary to do the encoding. Actually I'm in the same boat like you , and I currently try to find some information as well about this topic. I'm still on Logic 9 under OSX10.6.8 as my main DAW, however I will use my Macbook Pro with the current OS X for the encoding , and will buy the current version of Compressor , hoping that it works better/nicer/easier /sexier/... for that task.

( https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/compressor/?ref=driverlayer.com/web ) . Quote from the Compressor website : "For DVD projects, you can also use Compressor for converting surround audio stems into Dolby Digital Professional AC-3."

Good luck

Best wishes

Gerd

( ... I think we had a conversation on the EastWest Forum several years ago (?) ... LOGIC / VEPRO & Hollywoodstrings ... something like that ...)

Hello Gerd .... yes indeed EastWest and the good old HWS!!!! Thank you so much. I have also "held back" with my OSX on 10.6.8 but have extra drives that run Mavericks ..... for serious work with deadlines 10.6.8 is still incredibly stable and a great work horse. However I run things like Kontakt 5 and Omnisphere 2 on Mavericks and work across to OSX 6 .8 .... its's boring but I know I have to make the change soon. (& yes Logic 9 too!!)

I'm going to try the Compressor that came with Logic 9 as you suggest and have a go at converting to AC-3. I'll let you know how it goes and report back later. I simply wondered if there was anything new since Compressor that would allow editing and laying up tracks etc from surround WAVS .... but googling doesn't throw up anything new ... I'm surprised nobody is doing this now?

All the very best to you Gerd

Richard

In my experience, you must add a black video of no particular length to you dvd containing the 5.1 files. I have found that works fine... but things may have changed (well of course they have) - John

Hi Musos

Thank you so much for thinking about this. Indeed Compressor 3.5.3 was supplied with Logic 9 & I think v2 with Logic 8 ... Apple used to have a notion of workflow between their platforms and threw Compressor in with all of these applications. It's actually a flip of a thing to use though with incredible number of settings. I've been playing with it for the first time today. Film editors I work with swear by it but tend to use their own templates as setting up the app every time you use it is a pain.

All I'd like to do is convert a 5.1 mix (using 6 split files as everyone seems to?) to AC3 but not really producing anything yet ..... I may well abandon ship if I can't find a decent workflow.

Best

Richard

I've been playing with Compressor in order to make an AC3 file from 6 discrete 5.1 WAVS generated by Logic but can't get beyond a silly problem where after dropping the various files in the correct surround protocol set up, I press "submit" ..... I'm then given an error message "Empty Batch Name" which tells me I must enter a name for the "batch". I've read the manual several times ...... I know it's probably something very silly but can't find the way to do this?!!

Anyone used this?

Thanks

Dick

I've been playing with Compressor in order to make an AC3 file from 6 discrete 5.1 WAVS generated by Logic but can't get beyond a silly problem where after dropping the various files in the correct surround protocol set up, I press "submit" ..... I'm then given an error message "Empty Batch Name" which tells me I must enter a name for the "batch". I've read the manual several times ...... I know it's probably something very silly but can't find the way to do this?!!

Anyone used this?

Thanks

Dick

Richard, don't know if this helps :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2272960

As far as I understand every version of Compressor had/has its own unique bugs.

So , maybe the above might help ... or not . :?

Best

Gerd

Hi Gerd ...... BINGO!

Many thanks .... that was some sort of bug. I eventually followed through with the suggestion found on those links and am making an AC3 as I type.

To resume ..... an AC3 file is the professional surround file used in DOLBY 5.1 movies. However if you ever want to simply generate a DVD that just plays music in 5.1 (as a handy presentation vehicle to impress movie clients) The AC3 (although not terrific in terms of hi-fi) does enable us to present music in 5.1 on a good domestic DVD set-up.

i've written a blow by blow account of how to make an AC 3 Surround file using COMPRESSOR 3.5.3 that came free with Logic 9 (but no longer free since Compressor version 4 .... which may well have a better workflow) >>>>

1. I made a jpeg for the DVD image in 16.9 aspect ratio (ie generate a jpeg logo with a title of your work that will sit in the picture as a static image whilst your music is played back in 5.1 ) then drop it into iMovie which will generate around 2 seconds of movie for that jpeg …. I then copy and paste lots of times to make the length that I want to play the music on the DVD ….. and I then exported as an HD 16.9 PAL Quicktime Movie. (or NTSC in the USA)

2. Open COMPRESSOR but close down all the windows that appear (if any) … go to File Menu and choose "New Batch"

3. Click "+ Add Surround Files" button top left … click on each of the speaker icons and navigate to each of your 6 discrete audio files ( L. C R Lfe, Ls Rs ...... I have not bothered to generate an interleaved surround file in Logic as suspect this won't work .... so make "split files" )…. double clicking your audio files will bring them into the surround layout window which you position accordingly.

4. Then when all surround files are in position, click the "add video" button (bottom left in surround window) ... so navigate to your home made Quicktime movie with your title …. click "OK" and go to "Window" menu on top of Compressor desktop menu

4. Choose "Settings - Command 3" (under "Show Inspector")….. a "SETTINGS" window then appears with all the various Compressor Options …. navigate in Settings window to the "Apple" folder .... inside that folder is a folder called "Formats".... inside that choose the "Audio" folder ...... inside that is the "Dolby Digital Professional 5.1 (at 448 kps)" icon which you drag into the "Drag here" centre of the Compressor Batch window.

5. Click "Submit" bottom left of the Batch window and confirm the name in the resulting window ……. C'EST ÇA!

This is now working for me .... so here we are for anyone who needs a simple workflow.

Best

Richard

Archived