Any way to shut off RECORD when selecting track

angelonyc

I use a lot of midi hardware tracks.. Whenever I select a Logic track to edit, it automatically goes into record enable, which in turn seems to be echo midi out commands to various hardware.. which results in instrument patches getting changed, hence the song is instantly muddled into wrong tracks.. Often that specific track is echoed to another midi channel on same hardware instrument..

I don't have any 'midi thrus' on, in specific, it seems to alter Rolands Intregra 7's studio set-up patch.. so all it's instruments get messed up (Intregra is a brand new addition to set-up.

any ideas... stuck and frustrated...

AFAIK it's not possible, but I'm curious about your workflow: why do you need to select a Logic track to edit it?

Are those external MIDI tracks? If yes you can deselect the Program/Volume/Pan checkboxes in the Track inspector to avoid Logic sending those out to your external MIDI gear.

Yes, they are external Midi tracks. Internal, softsynths don't have any program messages in them hence they don't change.. How else are you supposed to select a track to edit?... I want to go in and edit individual note, pitch, velocity, timing etc. of an individual hardware instrument track.. I could try shutting off 'chase'.. but I believe I need these to get the track back into working order.

Program and bank are UNCHECKED. I put MSB/LSB/PROG in the data stream as CC events. This a SERIOUS flaw in design, unless I am overlooking some parameter to change.. I've gone thru all midi setting boxes, and can't see a solution.

For quite a while I had been using only soft synths, so there was no problem. I suppose I could put all the volume, pan instrument set up instrument control changes on an independent track and mute on/off..But that seems like a very inelegant solution.. but I don't see how that can be the cause of the problem... This problem has always been there since going back to hardware synths again (which I love).. and currently much worse with newly acquired with Roland module.. It forces the Roland to select a complete different studio set up so up to 16 instruments go wrong. Perhaps I should notice what # set-up it uses and write patch to that location. But I can't see where Roland is getting that command from.. I've combed thru each Logic track (with displaying note events off).. and there doesn't seem to be anything fishy there.

The problem really seems to initiate from Logic automatically going into record, and somehow echoing out false data.. The Tyros also acts as my Midi controller board, and puts out some sysex commands. But I always strip them out after recording.. If they are left in, they force Tyros to recreate any button pushes I made, hence I always strip them out. My first recording of tracks, are to get the Tyros style generators for 8 instruments, then I re-assign these to indepent Midi channels to play the part verbatum. Then I can record more passes of style generators. then individual hand played parts.

How else are you supposed to select a track to edit?

There's no need to select a track to edit anything on that track? You can edit the regions on the track without selecting the track first. You can double-click a region to open it in an editor without having to first select the track either...

Wow. after 20 years of use.. I learn something new.. I went back to a previious version.. and things were much better.. Intregra not selecting a new studio set-up.. So some how song got corrupted.. I always save very often (and the auto save) help a lot, so very minimal lost.. Thans for teaching me something new

I found my problem... I just created new ports on the fly in the arrange page.. I had to go to environment to create them properly, so they would show up in score editor.. I made the mistake in ALL Environment.. Instead of sorting by size, I selected 'cable serially'.. So everything was repatched, and since Roland module didn't respond to Tyros' MSB/LSB/PROG setup design, it assigned all different and wrong patches..

Thanx for the response and getting me to analyze with a different viewpoint..

Archived