Losing Panning and Automation

Stubby

I am having a problem when I bounce down a file and then re-import it into a separate project. I am able to bounce my project down fine and it retains automation and panning. When I import that bounced audio file back into that same project, automation and panning have been retained. However, I need to import that bounced file into a second, new project file (I am stitching together several tracks and adding some between song stuff). When I do that, all automation data and panning has been removed. Ideas?

I am selecting the tracks that I want to bounce (i.e., muting those I don't want), accessing the bounce command through the File menu and selecting Bounce project or section. When the bounce window comes up, I am selecting PCM as my destination, defining the Start and End of the track, turning off normalization. I am bouncing in Realtime (as opposed to offline) - FF=AIFF, 24 Bit resolution, 44100 sample rate, interleaved with dithering on (POW-r#1-I am sending this out for CD). And, as I say, all the information is there when I import this bounced file into the project that I am bouncing from. It is only when I import the same bounced file into a new project that I lose the automation/panning.

When you bounce that way, what you hear when you press play is what you get in your audio file. It shouldn't matter how you playback your audio file. So, when you press play in the original project, can you hear your automation? If yes then you should hear it when playing back the bounced file.

Try playing back the file with Quick Look or QuickTime, can you hear your automation?

I know I should but I can only hear the automation in the actual project I created the bounce from. I listened in iTunes and I couldn.t hear it there either. So, let's say I take a song with 25 tracks and 10 of them have some automation of some kind. I bounce it down to a file (let's call it "Bounce.aif"). If I import Bounce.aif back into a new audio track in the project I bounced/created it from, it works like a charm. If I import it into a new project or, say, upload the file to Dropbox and play it in iTunes, the automation data is not working.

So to clarify, when I hit play in my project-all tracks playing, I hear the automation. When I import the bounced file in the original project, I hear the automation. When I import that file into a new project, or listen to it on something else (iTunes anyway), no automation.

When you bounce an audio file, all you get is an audio file. There's no longer any automation data. If the volume automation was taken into account, it's now part of the audio file itself, and no playback software can "guess" what the automation data was before bouncing and undo it. So basically, either the automation is "printed" into the audio data, or it's not. It's black or white. Either or. No half measures.

When you import the bounced file into the original project, HOW do you import it exactly? And do you have any plug-ins on the Output 1-1 channel strip? Any automation?

To import, I simply go to the file menu, click on "import audio file" and select the bounced file into an empty audio track (same method I have used in both the existing project and the new project I am trying to import the finished track to). No plugins on the output channel strip. And, the automation data is panning automation (though there is some volume automation though I haven't listened closely to this or other automation-I will). Given what you're saying it doesn't sound like the kind of automation matters anyway.

Thanks by the way for your input in this and taking the time to respond. It's appreciated.

If you can't hear the automation when listening through Quick Look or QuickTime, then that means the automation was not recorded into the bounced file. However if you hear the automation when pressing play, then it should be recorded into the bounced file. So something must be up somewhere in the process there.

Archived