Opening old projects with Automap

improziv

Hi - not sure if this has been asked before

I use a Novation Impulse keyboard with Logic 9. I have a new computer and decided not to use Novation Automap on it. It was in use on a pervious computer. I ended up with older Logic 9 projects that call out the Automapped version of plugins. If I try to open up these projects on my new computer, these Automap-wrapped plugins don't exit and the project is "broken".

I can open the old project on the new computer and re-assign the track to the base-plugin without the Automap. However, all the settings are gone.

How are people dealing with this? Maybe if I had saved every plugin instance's state as a preset, then I could load the original plugin and load in the preset as a way of porting the track. Not sure if there is a better way like "assigning" the state of the Automap'd plugin to the base one?

Hope my question makes some sense.

Thanks,

Avi

Thanks Eric. Now that I'm paying the cost of not-realizing the implications of wrapping plugins as Novation did... I was hoping that there would be a way in the Logic database to change the name of the plugin while keeping everything else the same.... so that I could replace "myplug(Automap)" with "myplug"....in my projects... From your answer I'm guessing there is no such way. I'll have to do as you suggested unless some brilliant idea pops up in anyone's head.

Thanks again

Avi

I feel your pain.

I would install Automap open the project and save your plug-in settings.

Copy them over to the un wrapped plug-ins and then get rid of Automap again.

I'm afraid that won't work with all the plugins. Some plugins (Korg's, for instance) won't recognize automap saved preset when simply copied/moved to the regular (no automap) format folder... I found that out when contributing to the 3rd party plugins preset topic...

I feel your pain.

I would install Automap open the project and save your plug-in settings.

Copy them over to the un wrapped plug-ins and then get rid of Automap again.

I'm afraid that won't work with all the plugins. Some plugins (Korg's, for instance) won't recognize automap saved preset when simply copied/moved to the regular (no automap) format folder... I found that out when contributing to the 3rd party plugins preset topic...

Not happy to read this..but thanks for the information!... I'll have to test it with my projects. Do you have any other suggestions of how to "unwrap" automap from projects? I wonder how many people understood the dependency on Automap going forward when first installing it? I admit that I did not.

Not happy to read this..but thanks for the information!... I'll have to test it with my projects.
Please keep us posted. I hope you will have better luck than I did with the Korg plugins...

Do you have any other suggestions of how to "unwrap" automap from projects?
Unfortunately not... I did not even realize the implication of such dependency until your post. From now on, it's another thing to integrate in the workflow :roll:

I wonder how many people understood the dependency on Automap going forward when first installing it? I admit that I did not.
I'd believe almost everyone, including Novation.

Maybe I am naive, but I left them a support request in that regard.