Problems with my recording volume

limbotus

Hey!

So the problem is that when i record with my microphones (T.bone RB-500, Shure Sm57), i barely get any signal at all, even when i've turned my gain all the way up on my interface. I've tried a different Saffire interface to fix the problem, but it didn't help. I have also tried different cables and all obvious things that could help. And no, I don't have the pad on! :D The funny thing is that I have one microphone that works with phantom power. I don't remember the name of the mic, but i read that phantom power gives you extra 6 db, so i didn't notice the problem until i bought the Sm57 and RB-500. So i'm thinking that the problem must be ether in logic settings or mac settings. Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks for advance!

-Limbotus

Hi Limbotus!

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.1.1)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Yosemite 10.10.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

i read that phantom power gives you extra 6 db

That is not the case. Microphones are different, some require a lot of gain and some don't.

Please help! I really don't know what the problem is but is there some kind of setting that could have been set wrong on my computer or in logic? Some button that has to do with the input volume. Could it be possible that there went something wrong when I downloaded the latest version of logic pro x because thats when the problem kind of started. Is there a way to somehow download logic again or a earlier version of it?

Thanks again

-Limbotus

Yeah, i've tried talking but even when I'm singing the audio file looks really small and the sound is really bad because of the gain. Do you think I should buy a preamp of sorts.

Thanks for your effort

-Limbotus

Hi there,

The mics you have listed usually require a reasonably high amount of gain/a high level signal to give you a decent recording level, but I'd imagine the Pro40 would be capable of providing this.

Does this occur on all inputs of the Saffire? Could you confirm whether you've tried different XLRs etc?

If this is persisting, please drop us an email at supportteam@focusrite.com and we'll be glad to look in to it over email too :)

Thanks,

Dan

Archived