Adjusting midi to suit tempo?

jazmanning

Hi, i imported a midi file into logic(pro7) and was wondering if there is a way to adjust the midi notes to suit the tempo, because at the moment all the notes are not in line with the bars, if that makes sense. I cant really do it by hand because theres alot of solo'ing. It would be great if I could treat the midi like audio and adjust the tempo to suit it then change it back to midi. Is this possible?

Thanx for the reply.

Yeah beat mapping sounds like it could be the one, just going to read up on it now. Heres a picture of some midi to show what I mean

http://www.jaredmanning.com/picture.jpg

You can see how I want the notes inline with the tempo by looking at the pattern of the lower notes. Will beat mapping sort this? Is beat mapping adjusting the tempo of the song to the tempo of an audio file?

Beat mapping creates a tempo map to conform the song's grid to the variations in tempo of an audio files or MIDI sequence.

Quantize moves the notes to the grid to conform the performance to usually a straight tempo.

The question is: do you want to conserve the imperfections in your performance, and only have them displayed right on the grid without chaning the way it sounds, or do you want it to sound perfectly in time?

You could try time stretching the region. Hold the mouse over the right edge of the region, hold the 'option' key, and pull the right of the region to the right or left (like you were trying to change the length of the region).

If the region is 1.25 bars long... and you know it's supposed to be 3 bars long, time stretch it out to 3 bars, and your notes should fall into the proper place.

Luke