Best way to backup Logic as data file or complete session

stlpck

What Luke describes is the way I save my projects. Then when I want to backup, I quit Logic and copy the project folder(s) to a hard drive, but you can also copy onto a DVD-R.

I used to copy them to CD-Rs, but be warned: most of my CD-Rs which are only a couple of years old will not be read. CD-Rs really don't last long. I'm not sure about DVD-Rs. I wouldn't rely on them as my sole backup option. Hard drives seem to be more reliable. I would recommend hard drives + offsite backup, such as an internet backup (but transfer time is slow) for archiving.

What Luke describes is the way I save my projects. Then when I want to backup, I quit Logic and copy the project folder(s) to a hard drive, but you can also copy onto a DVD-R.

I used to copy them to CD-Rs, but be warned: most of my CD-Rs which are only a couple of years old will not be read. CD-Rs really don't last long.

I back up to CD -R and DVD-R..... I had no idea that after time they wont be able to be read.... I've got back-ups from 4-5 years ago, I should check them out.

What's the reason behind this David?

Luke

I'm pretty sure the same affliction applies for DVDRs too as the concept is the same, ie they both use dye which is altered by the laser to write the I's and O's as data. The dye is a sensitive material that naturally degrades through light, heat and time. Also through atmospherics the disc material can simply oxidize (rust). I wouldn't trust either of these as a long term storage method unless you have a sealed temperature controlled room. Recently Blu-Ray discs were found with a bacteria that was literally eating the data! (imaging trying to store your data on a pizza and trying to keep that pizza from decomposing).

HDs come with their own problems and when a HD dies it can be tragic. If you like to keep your data, try to move your data from old HDs to new ones every couple of years at least, and if possible keep a couple of HDs with copies of the same data, even new HDs die.. in fact HD death is one of the most likely computer components to fail due to moving parts and complexity.

Just on the subject of saving as a project... is it possible to change the move/leave/copy settings of a project once it has been saved? It seems that every time I try this, it saves a new .lso file with a #1 in the name. I'm trying to now copy the sampler and instrument stuff into the project folder so that when I backup I know they will always be available to the project.