Sidechaining compression

parham

I'm trying to add a sidechain compression to an ES2 instrument. I added compression to bus 1, and in the sidechain of the ES2 I loaded "bus1" but I'm not getting any response for some reason. Am I missing a step? And is there a better/more efficient way of doing this?

Hi David,

I took the Logic advanced course with you about a month ago, I wonder if you remember my name. Anyway, thought I'd mention the course helped streamline my projects and I'm working much more efficiently now. Thank you

Let me explain the effect more thoroughly...

It's for a dance/house track... with a typical 4x4 kick, I added a straight 8th note bass line that is moving in octaves, so the low note first then the octave above on the "ands" it plays along with the straight kickdrum so that the bass is emphasizing the kick drum. The bass sound I'm looking for is a really buzzy saw sound, like 16 Saw Oscillators?? So...

I wanted to side-band compress it to the kick so I get this sucking sound on the "and" so its like bvvahhh bvvahhh and pulls into every beat. It makes the kick sound really Loud and crisp, I've heard the technique done on lots of tracks, supposedly its an old drum n bass trick.

Any suggestions of a bass sound I could use in logic and how to sidechain it? also I've got a keyboard synth that I use as "midi" tracks is there a way I can add effects like this to the midi track to listen while I'm programming, or does it need to be bounced 2 audio first?

Hope all's well.

I'm trying to add a sidechain compression to an ES2 instrument. I added compression to bus 1, and in the sidechain of the ES2 I loaded "bus1" but I'm not getting any response for some reason. Am I missing a step? And is there a better/more efficient way of doing this?

Don't know if I read everything right, but you need to send something to Bus 1 (the bass line).