Viewing MIDI in "Blocks" instead of a score

birdzai

Yeah, I want blocks on the arrange window. otherwise its impossible for me to tell how far I should stretch my MIDI file to match the length of an audio file I have.

Is this not possible? :(

Sure you can. You should be seeing midi regions as blocks without notes if zoomed in tight and blocks with little notes inside if zoomed out but either way you can grab the midi regions and drag them out/in if you grab them by the lower right hand corner.

Hmm, I think we are talking about different things. Yes, the MIDI region is a "block". But it is a block with staff and notes on a staff. What I want is a MIDI region "block" with blocks inside... lines of midi on a piano roll, not staff. Like Cubase or Pro Tools displays on default.

Basically I want the arrange window view of my midi region to look similar to the Matrix editor

Thanks for the help.

What I want is a MIDI region "block" with blocks inside... lines of midi on a piano roll, not staff. Like Cubase or Pro Tools displays on default.

..or GarageBand. Quite useful as it shows note durations. Unfortunately not available in Logic.

Hmm, I think we are talking about different things. Yes, the MIDI region is a "block". But it is a block with staff and notes on a staff. What I want is a MIDI region "block" with blocks inside... lines of midi on a piano roll, not staff. Like Cubase or Pro Tools displays on default.

Basically I want the arrange window view of my midi region to look similar to the Matrix editor

Thanks for the help.

Ah, I see. No it cannot do that. But why not simply have a screenset with the Arrange page and the Matrix editor?

But why not simply have a screenset with the Arrange page and the Matrix editor?

It is not as easy to see the notes in context with them separated. You can just look at the bars yes but you get a little disconnected especially when you try to look at multiple MIDI regions.

Cubase doesn't do this by default it is a toggle button on each MIDI track and didn't add that feature until Cubase 3 which was a very welcome addition. Now if only they will add their tempo map to the project window (arrange for Logic).

P.S. Hi Jay!

Gotcha.. Yikes! I dunno how I am going to stretch this MIDI file to match the audio file, I guess just trial and error forever :/

birdzai,

It's not really clear what you're trying to ultimately achieve. If you want the MIDI file and the audio file to be the same length, then look at their start and end points, do the math, then change it. Done

However, I can't help thinking that perhaps what you need is to beatmap the audio file, then quantize your MIDI to that?