OS X El Capitan - Not supported Software and Hardware

Just asked IK Multimedia if it had an official statement on El Capitan. They don't, and referred me to their forum (where there isn't anything official, and very little unofficial). I know it is a little off tangent, but why would a company go out of its way to not make a statement regarding compatibility?

Eric - Thanks for keeping track of these driver / plug-in issues! Very helpful! I guess I'm going to wait to upgrade for a while yet..

I'm sure you've thought of this but wanted to ask: are you planning on updating the original post when each issue is fixed? Would be cool like at the end of a fixed issue you would say "FIXED ...." or something. I will then keep watching this list to know when it is safe for me to upgrade, once all my drivers / plug-ins are ready. Sorry for appearing to suggest you do even more work. I really appreciate all that you do and I cannot expect anything more.

Yes, but this are pretty old news.

It's even stated in the release notes from 2014.

I would replace it without a doubt.

M-Audio has always have enormous problems with their drivers.

?

I´ve had several M-audio soundcards,and these have allways been the most stable,both hardware and drivers.

Maybe you have been unlucky...?

But please explain the "enormous problems" thing ?

I´ve had several M-audio soundcards,and these have allways been the most stable,both hardware and drivers.

Maybe you have been unlucky...?

But please explain the "enormous problems" thing ?

M-Audio problems

You can read about them yourself.

Seems like your link is most concerning products from 2012 and up and mostly midi,but what about your "M-Audio has always have enormous problems with their drivers." ?

The guy you are missleading has a profire 610,isnt that a bad signal to send to all M-audio owners, in fact that fx computer specs can have a thing or two to say ?

Seems like your link is most concerning products from 2012 and up and mostly midi,but what about your "M-Audio has always have enormous problems with their drivers." ?

The guy you are missleading has a profire 610,isnt that a bad signal to send to all M-audio owners, in fact that fx computer specs can have a thing or two to say ?

m-audio has been...difficult (with mac drivers, support) for a long time, you can read about it on other music forums as well. not a new (or sadly, isolated) issue.

Ok, Here is some other issues you should all no.

1. MOTU MIDI products do not work with El Capitan :roll:

2. iLok does not work properly and some plugins do not work. :evil:

3. iLok 2.5 software will not install on El Capitan without head aches

4. If you have a MOTU midi interface NO sequence software will work as MIDI server is not working

5. Logic Pro works, 90% of mu audio plugins do not work i.e. VSL, EastWest, Kontakt,Voxos,ProjectSam,Spectrasonics,MOTU,BEST,Sternberg,Waves,Etc.

6. MOTU is working on a driver that fixes problems :shock:

7. If you installed El capitan, turn off power saving and sleep function or your computer will crash every 3 hrs over and over and over. :mrgreen:

8. Some users report bugs with "Unknown error, USB devise is drawing to much power" :?:

9. DO NOT INSTALL El Capitan if you want to use your MIDI and Mac equipment for Plugins. :?

10. If you installed El Capitan, then call your software vendors and demand they get a update (You would think!! They had over a year to update their software and were to cheap to do it. Don't blame Apple!! The software vendors are just to cheap and lazy to even update drivers) :oops:

11. AVID does not work, never really has since Snow Leopard. I contacted AVID and asked questions since i beta for Apple, six months ago. AVID with there GOD complex deleted my posts in Forums for support and kicked me out of Forum for asking when they would update their drivers and software to work with El Capitan. (Then a mystery statement stating "Although not officially supported, AVID products successfully run on Apple El Capitan) Complete joke like AVID. Send AVId some Clown shoes and big red noses!! :twisted:

Its really sad that so many software vendors are on the gravy train. Apple give a huge prior notice to all developers that carry their logo. Don't be fooled by a software or plugin vendor who tells you they were not told.

All we can do is wait for at the minimum:

1. MOTU to update MIDI Drivers

2. Kontakt to fix all there software mess's and drivers.

3.iLok to get off their lazy gravy train and write a new driver and manager

4. IK to do or say anything (They are so cheap and lazy they can't even help there current client base)

5. VSL has a updated version, but since iLok and MIDI does not work, it does not matter.

6. EastWest was one of the few who warned everyone. There products will work when iLok and MOTU and others write a driver that works on El Capitan.

7. AVID ? Well they are so arrogant have no clue as they hate Apple and have a GOD complex. Their stuff crashed before the OS upgrade. There drivers and Software is like 3 OS rev's behind.

So this is the first OS rev I have seen that actually downs an entire studio.

People who do not have problems.must not have any paid for their plugins and AU's, MOTU midi interface, iLok's or Kontakt software. As it is not a "Lucky item" it is a fact that NONE work. Apple knows, vendors know. Actually can't because Apple now took Permissions and force vendors to put stuff where it will not corrupt OS anymore. When everyone gets off their six..your computer will have fewer crashes run really fast, sound better as audio gets less interrupts and delays. Yea to Apple..BOOOOO to all the vendors that fails to update there software in time. Not like they did not have a years notice or anything....

bbendorf (i really don't want to quote your whole post)... 8)

the power saving/sleep issue is something u should look into, not happening here. try resetting pram/smc.

remember, everyone's setup is different. for me, for example (and i keep bringing this up :roll: ), eveything is working. yes, NI was a nuisance to sort out, but it IS (for me) sorted out. otherwise...all my plugins work: u-he, NI, fabfilter, izotope. spire, serum, electra2. the valhalla reverbs, arturia spark. spire, pianoteq, opx... etc. etc...

and you're right about the developers...the developer betas were around long enough for all these companies to test out...

NOTE THIS WON"T WORK UNLESS YOU HAVE ACCESS TO YOSEMITE FILES NOTED BELOW:

This is what fixed just about all the issue for me after I went in to CMD R (recovery partition) and disabled SIP (google it if needed). These fixes assumes you have access to the Yosemite files of the same names that were backed up prior to installing El Capitan. Keep in mind Time Machine does NOT back up files in the Cache folder unfortunately. Didn't even need to rescan in most cases.

Make backups of all the files you replace 1st!!

AUDIO UNITS FIX FOR EL CAPITAIN 10.11

Restore from backups (backup originals if needed)

copy backed up libxml2.2dylib to usr/lib

Also paste the backed up one in: usr/local

Copy the backed up file libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib to usr/lib

Copy the 2 backed up files Auval and auvaltool from backup to usr/bin

Copy the backed up AudioUnitCache folder (and file for LP9) to yourusername/library/caches

(for Logic 9 it is the yourusername/library/caches com.apple.audiounits.cache file not inside of a folder)

Copy the backed up file com.apple.Components2.localCache.AudioComponents to HD/Library/caches

Now all my Yosemite working stuff works in Logic 9 and Logic X. You may have to run the Force AU Validation Utility if needed.

I need to ask - and forgive me if anyone considers this threadjacking:

What the hell is Apple thinking? Obviously you don't upgrade your main rig the day a new version of OS X comes out. But for Pete's sake, El Cap has been in public beta for months! Did they sneak the new auvaltool in the GM after the betas working or something? Or did every pro audio company in the world not bother to install the beta?

This sort of thing scares me because Apple has had a long and respectful relationship with creative professionals for so long. What must it mean if they do something like this? And it's not a matter of old hardware or software - something like Komplete is such an investment I would expect to use it even when a new version is around the corner. I still have a PreSonus Firepod that works like new, and I only stopped using it because Apple stopped putting Firewire ports on their machines, and the Thunderbolt adapters are squirrelly (or at least my Thunderbolt ports aren't as snug as they should be). But if I plug it in that way it still works! So this auvaltool thing doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I like being able to trust my Mac. Seriously, I'd love to know, what was the - if you'll pardon the expression - logic behind this decision?

I need to ask - and forgive me if anyone considers this threadjacking:

What the hell is Apple thinking? Obviously you don't upgrade your main rig the day a new version of OS X comes out. But for Pete's sake, El Cap has been in public beta for months! Did they sneak the new auvaltool in the GM after the betas working or something? Or did every pro audio company in the world not bother to install the beta?

This sort of thing scares me because Apple has had a long and respectful relationship with creative professionals for so long. What must it mean if they do something like this? And it's not a matter of old hardware or software - something like Komplete is such an investment I would expect to use it even when a new version is around the corner. I still have a PreSonus Firepod that works like new, and I only stopped using it because Apple stopped putting Firewire ports on their machines, and the Thunderbolt adapters are squirrelly (or at least my Thunderbolt ports aren't as snug as they should be). But if I plug it in that way it still works! So this auvaltool thing doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I like being able to trust my Mac. Seriously, I'd love to know, what was the - if you'll pardon the expression - logic behind this decision?

you're missing the whole point: that's six months of developer betas are for...a chance for companies to test the waters, see how their plugins will work. some companies are on top of it (and some test things, but won't release an update until the 'formal' release of a new OS).

apple needs to collab with third-party developers when there are issues, but it does give them a huge window to get started; it's up to the developers to step up...or not.

I have spent a good deal of time over the past several days trying to get my audio stuff to work. Even though I have found very many workarounds I can say with confidence that El Capitan is a bloody mess. In no way is it any where near as stable or usable as Yosmeite was at 10.10.5. There are so many unstable things just lurking right under the surface waiting to break that it scares the hell out of me that I didn't stay with Yosemite like I knew I should have. Most of the issue are with audio. I'd say 90% of the issues are audio production related. The fact that Apple couldn't keep LP9 and LPX up and running without major problems is pretty bad business as far as I'm concerned. There are clearly some "Apple" (not developer) audio and midi issues inside 10.11 and 10.11.1 beta. They will need to fix these and likley a new Logic X update. Some issues can be fixed by the dev's but not all from what I have seen so far. And if you don't plan on disabling SIP you will have to wait even longer. I don't like it one bit.

I have spent a good deal of time over the past several days trying to get my audio stuff to work. Even though I have found very many workarounds I can say with confidence that El Capitan is a bloody mess. In no way is it any where near as stable or usable as Yosmeite was at 10.10.5. There are so many unstable things just lurking right under the surface waiting to break that it scares the hell out of me that I didn't stay with Yosemite like I knew I should have. Most of the issue are with audio. I'd say 90% of the issues are audio production related. The fact that Apple couldn't keep LP9 and LPX up and running without major problems is pretty bad business as far as I'm concerned. There are clearly some "Apple" (not developer) audio and midi issues inside 10.11 and 10.11.1 beta. They will need to fix these and likley a new Logic X update. Some issues can be fixed by the dev's but not all from what I have seen so far. And if you don't plan on disabling SIP you will have to wait even longer. I don't like it one bit.

am on LX 10.2, and el capitan 10.11.1beta, and EVERYTHING is working for me. your issues are significant, but not universal. get some help with them (even here, with more specific information). btw, have not had to disable SIP at all. and, as an OS, 10.11 has (so far) been incredibly stable here.

something i never understand; when someone has an issue, why do they assume that everyone has the same issue?

No, I know there are developer betas. But how did practically every pro audio company in the world miss this? Is it just because nobody in their right mind upgrades on release day? My understanding of this is that nobody has released an El Cap "compatible" update as of right now, your existing hardware/software either works or it doesn't, right? I'm not an Apple-basher, far from it, but it's hard for me to wrap my brain around the notion that no pro audio company even launched Logic once (which was when I was notified, anyway, that my plugs had to be re-validated) in six months of developer betas. Just can't wrap my brain around it, that's all.

No, I know there are developer betas. But how did practically every pro audio company in the world miss this? Is it just because nobody in their right mind upgrades on release day? My understanding of this is that nobody has released an El Cap "compatible" update as of right now, your existing hardware/software either works or it doesn't, right? I'm not an Apple-basher, far from it, but it's hard for me to wrap my brain around the notion that no pro audio company even launched Logic once (which was when I was notified, anyway, that my plugs had to be re-validated) in six months of developer betas. Just can't wrap my brain around it, that's all.

with some plugins, there are simply not issues (i did say 'some'). i've been running el capitan since public beta 1...on my main (& only) mac. AND i've continued to work.

izotope plugins didn't work until PB3 (i did find a workaround: "metaplugin"...very cool vst-reading app, if you ever need that; it puts them in an AU shell, easy to use). NI was an issue (but i fixed it, and others have as well). NI is notoriously slow with these things. some developers have been testing 10.11...but most still tell us to wait for the official release. and then...wait some more...

everyone's experience is different. i am (really) very good at dealing with OS issues, but it's not for the faint of heart. "nobody in their right mind upgrades on release day"? exactly. 8) i love doing that...

I installed El Capitan on a second Mac on which I had all my files copied from a Yosemite backup. I was interested in testing two things in particular - Apogee Duet Firewire interface and iZotope plug-ins.

The Duet Firewire worked no problem, same as under Yosemite. The iZotope plug-ins didn't validate at first, so then I replaced the AudioUnitCache with the one from my Yosemite system and it worked. Thanks for the tip fisherking!

I read about another fix involving replacing auvaltool, but replacing the AudioUnitCache was easier and that alone did the trick for me so I didn't bother with auvaltool.

One question remains though – I got the iZotope plug-ins to validate on my test system but I didn't go through with the authorization. Is it safe to assume that I would be able to authorize any plug-ins on my main system once I get them to validate?

Hi strat71.

I'm glad that you've had great experiences with you M-Audio hardware.

But please stop accusing me of misleading anyone!

Joebar's interface has been made obsolete by ending support in 2014. He asked about our own opinion on the matter and specifically if there was a hack or if he should replace it.

My honest opinion based on numerous issues I've encounter with M-Audio drivers is that you should look somewhere else.

Feel free to disagree but stop saying I'm misleading anyone.

If you want to discuss the state of M-Audio drivers further start a separate thread.

Thanks!

Most of the issue are with audio. I'd say 90% of the issues are audio production related. The fact that Apple couldn't keep LP9 and LPX up and running without major problems is pretty bad business as far as I'm concerned. There are clearly some "Apple" (not developer) audio and midi issues inside 10.11 and 10.11.1 beta. They will need to fix these and likley a new Logic X update.

On the plus. i'm glad people like you exist who can test the waters for us who are more hesitant/rely on our mac's to make money! :)

I've only just recently upgraded to yosemite and i'm not happy with that, which has fully matured now so should be issue free - but it's just so sluggish!!

In my experience with recent OS X updates, i truly think a clean install is the way to go, and that's what i'll be doing with El Cap - just curious as to whether you:- (A) Ran the El Cap beta on that machine, and also (B) Is this a clean El Cap install that you're seeing big issues with?

(And just to add, i also had a bad BAD time with M-Audio hardware (Specifically firewire audio), i was a little bit apprehensive getting a Nektar keyboard after seeing the link with M-Audio - but so far, so good on that front, in fact very good.)

am on LX 10.2, and el capitan 10.11.1beta, and EVERYTHING is working for me. your issues are significant, but not universal. get some help with them (even here, with more specific information). btw, have not had to disable SIP at all. and, as an OS, 10.11 has (so far) been incredibly stable here.

something i never understand; when someone has an issue, why do they assume that everyone has the same issue?

I have things technically "working" too, but there is nothing "stable" about this OS. I agree it may not be "everyone", but from my research, it's a lot of folks. And since I had no such problem with Yosemite at all, then that tells me that El Cap may not have been quite ready to unleash. Some dev's will take months to catch up and some will not even bother. Glad you have not had these issues, but trust me, many have. It depends on what you do and what you have hooked up.

Most of the issue are with audio. I'd say 90% of the issues are audio production related. The fact that Apple couldn't keep LP9 and LPX up and running without major problems is pretty bad business as far as I'm concerned. There are clearly some "Apple" (not developer) audio and midi issues inside 10.11 and 10.11.1 beta. They will need to fix these and likley a new Logic X update.

On the plus. i'm glad people like you exist who can test the waters for us who are more hesitant/rely on our mac's to make money! :)

I've only just recently upgraded to yosemite and i'm not happy with that, which has fully matured now so should be issue free - but it's just so sluggish!!

In my experience with recent OS X updates, i truly think a clean install is the way to go, and that's what i'll be doing with El Cap - just curious as to whether you:- (A) Ran the El Cap beta on that machine, and also (B) Is this a clean El Cap install that you're seeing big issues with?

(And just to add, i also had a bad BAD time with M-Audio hardware (Specifically firewire audio), i was a little bit apprehensive getting a Nektar keyboard after seeing the link with M-Audio - but so far, so good on that front, in fact very good.)

No, I did not run any prior beta, but did try the latest 10.11.1 beta 2 in an attempt to get some stability in Logic. (seems to have made it worse) I think some of the issues I am seeing are from the various workarounds related to Logic and AUval and aucache files, some midi issues and then beyond that, just some odds and ends. But overall I feel the overall loss of stability. Also Logic seems to rev the cpu more for some reason and random things just hang requiring a restart to get straight again. Also the Nektar P6 drivers have been problematic. Their eta is about 2 weeks for a new set they say. I expect some of this on a new OS, but it feels rushed and I personally think Apple leaves too much to the dev's to find workarounds. Just my opinion.