Logic Control buttons affecting soft synths?

nebula

Anybody else with a Logic Control (mine's a Mackie Control Universal, not "Pro") see it where you have a track with an audio instrument selected, you press one of the "bank" left/right buttons on the LC, and some weird parameter changes on the software instrument? It's as though control surface MIDI is "leaking" to the instrument. The bank still changes, but the synth parameter changes too.

(Yes, I posted this on BBL too, but got no responses after three days - people there seem happier bitching about non-existent software, i.e. Logic 8)

Try the Rebuild Defaults in the Control Surfaces submenu. I find I need to do this every 5-6 weeks.

Will do, thanks.

Any idea what this does, exactly?

Have you ever had the same type of symptoms? What else would be an indication of the need to do this?

Thanks again

Steve.

Well, it resets any parameter changes you've made in the Control Surface setup that are unique to each one, and it sort of reboots the whole control surface engine in Logic.

Symptoms can range from strange notes or controls to total lack of response from the unit. It's not a big deal as it's so easy to reset. There have been a couple of times that I've had to delete my LC's from the setup and then restart them and let Logic find them again. This has been due to Logics MIDI ports getting re-enimerated because of adding or subtracting interfaces from OSx's audio MIDI setup. Still not a big deal.

They can also get stuck sometimes if you're switching back and forth between various apps that support them. Usually it's seamless, but there are times . . .

I've been using them for 5 years or so. Still working great.

Thanks so much. I'll try that as soon as I get home.

It totally makes sense that I'd be having MIDI ports appearing and re-appearing - My MCU and C4 are connected to an AMT8 which is sometimes off when I start the computer, and even when I run Logic - and most of the time when it's on, it's daisy-chained to an original Unitor8 by RS422, but not always. (The Unitor connects up all my old keyboards and stuff). Unless you hear otherwise, let's assume it worked.

Same rig here, Unitor8 and AMT8 daisychained. Do yourself a favor and leave them on all the time. They use very little power. But, and I can't stress this enough, make sure you've got a really good quality surge protected power strip, or better, a small UPS to plug them into. I had a very close lightening strike several years ago which took out both my units. Nothing else in the rack got killed, just those. If you cherish yours as much as I do mine, make that little investment. These things are getting hard to replace now.