What mic shall i get??

evil_cliff

Hi Logic people

i want to a new microphone to record vocals but also acoustic guitars, sax and gernerally a good all round mic. i have three SM57's and a behriger B! but now want to upgrage and splash my hard earned cash

im stuck between an AKG 414 wich i would really like but ive heard they're quite bassy...not what i really need for vocals but also have been looking at Rode mics. i know they are ment to be qute good to.

are valve mics really worth it? there are some cheap ones and expensive ones. would the cheap ones really cut it?

any susgesstions?

what mic do you guys like and own? :D

How much can you spend? I'm surprised you've heard that 414s are bassy; I've found them to be sibilant. I personally don't recommend them.

The best investment I've made in recent history is my Brauner Phantom C. It's the solid state version of their Phantom V valve mic, and it's amazing. Cost was about $2500. If you can swing it, you'll be thrilled.

In the under 1k range I had a nice run with my Rode NTK. I don't like the Shure KSM series. The Audio Technica stuff is nice also.

I'm not sure I'd describe the 414 as 'bassy' It's got a selectable roll-off so you can filter out all the bassy stuff if you want. I use 414s on just about everything (guitar amps, drum overheads, acoustic guitar...) It's a very versatile microphone. It also can work on vocals, but I've found it to compliment male vocals more than female.