drum and bass format

aosr

i am very new to logic 7 and producing drum and bass as well. can someone show me, direct me to, or send me a D&B track so that i can get a better feel for formatting. i feel like i'm trying to build something that doesn't exist right now and it would help me greatly if i had something to visualize, dissect, and study. any help would be greatly appreciated.

why not go to beatport.com or the itunes store and download some tracks for inspiration and reference?

I'd look after ed rush & optical, dom & roland, teebee, calyx, noisia to start. there are loads of other names out there.

Also, if you are looking for resources on D&B production techniques, check teh grid @ DogsonAcid.com, but fair warning, the guys on there can be a bit snarky as they hear the same questions from beginners all the time. IF you ask questions in an intelligent way, you can get some really great answers. I've found it to be a great resource for electronic music production.

http://www.dogsonacid.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4

hope that helps

Thank you Dave. Good advice on the wording when posting--that way I can avoid pointless responses from the likes of Donnie Darko. I was specifically asking about production techniques, not what drum and bass sounds like ("tracks" as in sequenced logic project tracks, etc). I've been spinning for years but am just now beginning to produce. Really just trying to get a visual on what a sequenced amen might look like in the matrix editor for instance. Programming drums in logic isn't the easiest thing I've ever tried, but I'll figure it out eventually--a visual aid of some kind would be very helpful though. I thought with all the diversity of the internet someone might know the whereabouts of a tutorial, sample track, etc. Just wanted a look (I know the sound). Thanks for the tip. I'll try that dogsonacid for assitance, and if anyone wants to get smart they can download some of my mixes and then go hide like little girls (Donnie).

Peace

AOSR

Maybe this might help.

Import the audio file of drum'bass track you like.

On that track insert a BMP plug-in and work out the BPM for that track.

Now adjust the grid/ BPM (in transport bar) of your Logic template to match that of the song.

On most songs there is a 2 second pause at the start. Delete the silence at the start so the first beat lines up at the start... like cueing a record.

Now you can analyse the audio and how it corresponds to the grid and where the beats fall within the bars.

By highlighting the top and looping you can break it down into it's simplest form.

You can now analyse the whole track and work out if it has 2 bar bassline loops or a crash cymbal every 16 bars and changes within the track.

I hope this makes sense....

DJ marky is my favourite Drum'n'Bass Producer!

MOTOSCHOLES, thank you. I can't believe i didn't think of that. Solid advice, much appreciated. If you wouldn't mind, one more question: do you think most amen drum sequences are made from programs created at say 90ish and then sped up to 180ish, or can they actually be made from scratch at regular speed with enough skill/practice? (Strictly a drum and bass question I suppose).

Thanks again.

lol sorry it's the way you worded your original post, it sounded as if you had never really listened to drum and bass before. i was a fan of it myself but it's going a little out of fashion here in London. so you want to know what a drum sequence or whatever looks like in the matrix editor?

Donnie... yes, specifically what the "amen" style drum line looks like. I've been spinning D&B for a while, yet i still have a difficult time visualizing what that complex and fast of a drum line might look like when sequenced in midi. Anyways, sorry if I sounded like a chump at first. My fault on the wording!

PS-D&B is out of fashion there! Wow. Interesting. Where I'm from it has never been in fashion enough to go out! What about that new darkcore/noisecore from the likes of Limewax, Robyn Chaos, Evol Intent, etc? To me, that really is the next evolutionary step from jungle to '?' (come to think of it, there's a Donnie Darko sample about when the world will end in a recent release from one of those before mentioned artists I believe)

Hey mate,

I think.. I understand what you are trying to get at.

You might be a little confused with how sequences work in relation to beats.

A bit of music theory might help you to understand the concept. Try and find a sheet which demonstrates the break down of notes in a pryamid.

Right a the top will be a whole note and down the bottom will be 32 (1/32 notes) and even further down 64 (1/64 notes).

Ultrabeat has 32 part sequencer which I am pretty sure would be good enough to make drum'n'bass beats. What gives drum'n'bass it's drive is the hi-hats and the number of notes being played within one bar.

Think about the division of the bar. What type of notes need to be played within that bar.

Honestly I don't think people would be changing the BMP, it would make things really confusing.

What happens in a lot of dance music is this sort of formula:

Construct a 1 bar rhythm (A)

1st Bar (Rhythm A) - 2nd Bar (Rhythm A) - 3rd Bar (Rhythm A) - 4th Bar (Rhythm A + a variation like and extra kick).

There is a tutorial on how to use Ultrabeat. Do a search on this forum and it will give you a link for a discounted price. It's well worth it. Saves you heaps of time. It's a MacProVideo.

There is also a magazine called Computer Music. They might have an example of how to do a Drum'n'Bass track. Email them and they will provide you with some helpful info.

Good luck!

Donnie... yes, specifically what the "amen" style drum line looks like. I've been spinning D&B for a while, yet i still have a difficult time visualizing what that complex and fast of a drum line might look like when sequenced in midi. Anyways, sorry if I sounded like a chump at first. My fault on the wording!

PS-D&B is out of fashion there! Wow. Interesting. Where I'm from it has never been in fashion enough to go out! What about that new darkcore/noisecore from the likes of Limewax, Robyn Chaos, Evol Intent, etc? To me, that really is the next evolutionary step from jungle to '?' (come to think of it, there's a Donnie Darko sample about when the world will end in a recent release from one of those before mentioned artists I believe)

hey i don't know if you've seen this video on youtube but if you like the amen loop u will love this.

yeah well i spose it wasn't hugely popular, i don't hear much of it anymore. there is a new sound in london called Dubstep :)

I have a few old, half-finished d&b tracks on an old hard disk with a fried controller board. Just yesterday I received an identical hd I ordered off ebay and within the next week or so I plan to transplant the controller board from the new drive to the broken drive.

Assuming I'm successful, I'll send you the stuff I did - it's a little tame by today's standards, but it will give you a good picture.

I always worked on d&b at "native" resolution, although it doesn't really matter. It's however you hear it. Most of what I was doing was in the 177-realm.

Also, a trick for chopping up "Amen": set up about a dozen stereo audio tracks at the beginning of your project. Put plug-ins on each track. You can be a bit random here - use pitch changers, flangers, filters, EQs etc. Leave one track "dry". Do your chopping up on the dry track, then rubber-band select and move parts to different tracks to change the sound character.

The key is in having a bunch of tracks already there for quick, spontaneous sonic variation.

yeah well i spose it wasn't hugely popular, i don't hear much of it anymore. there is a new sound in london called Dubstep :)

dub step is still new in London? wow. dub step is great, but i hardly think it will be a sufficient replacement to those addicted to the upper BPMs

Assuming I'm successful, I'll send you the stuff I did - it's a little tame by today's standards, but it will give you a good picture.

Also, a trick for chopping up "Amen": set up about a dozen stereo audio tracks at the beginning of your project. Put plug-ins on each track. You can be a bit random here - use pitch changers, flangers, filters, EQs etc. Leave one track "dry". Do your chopping up on the dry track, then rubber-band select and move parts to different tracks to change the sound character.

That would be really helpful, much luck with the controller board transplant. That's a very good idea with the swap up on dry tracks. Right now I've mainly been making a good set of core loops and then running automation on the various paramters to get interweaving change ups.

Should you get it working, let me know. Thanks!

dub step is still new in London? wow. dub step is great, but i hardly think it will be a sufficient replacement to those addicted to the upper BPMs

well new as in a couple of years lol but still fairly new i'd say :wink: