Anyone Using Drum Pad Style Midi Controllers?

I impulsively bought a second-hand Akai MPD 16 a couple of months ago. I've plugged it in and tapped on the pads to make sure it works. But, that's about it. I don't really see any difference between this unit and tapping in drum hits with a midi keyboard. Maybe some people like the layout of the drum pads better?

I use a Drumkat vers 3.8 with a kit and hat pedal.

Even if you're not a great drummer (you can always quantize), there's no way you can program on a keyboard what I can play on the pads.

I'm not saying it's impossible to program using keys, but once you get used to a good pad like a Drumkat, then there's no going back.

m-audio trigger finger here...

me also thinks it's way more fun to play drums on pads, not to mention all the features a specialized midicontrol like the triggerfinger offers specially for drums (e.g. you skip thru your samples by simply twisting a knob, so that you can configure exactly what sounds go on what pad, instead of hitting 4octaves of keys up&down).. and for me the best thing: you can easily hit the pads so fast that you can create drumrolls etc...

I have a variety of percussion controllers. I can play lots of stuff on a keyboard, and do so if i have no percussion controller set up. thing is, i can't play any sort of really drummer llike fill without using sticks and pads of some types. Frequently this is just fine as drummer like fills are often too busy anyways!

All the same there is a complete spectrum of percussion parts excluded from the keyboard trigger approach. each type have advantages;

real drum kit parts are best served with a pad kit. Most kit players like the feel of these the best. the ones with the snare head about 13 inches or so are the best, followed by regular mesh kits. Rubber pad kits I quite like but I am perfectly happy adapting to an electronic interface while lots of acoustic players have a hard time dealing with all the differences.

I have a broken TrapKat with takes less room and feels great..but it is another step into abstraction for an acoustic player.

pad things like octapads and so on are useful more for percussion stuff, like latin sounds for example. the kat ones are better for low level hits than most rolands I have tried

The akai pads and things i have less experience with, but the reason people use them is as they can have a reasonable roll played on them without dealing with a physical key movement required for the trigger. the physical move makes it hard to play fast!

I just got a wonderful 49 key percussion controller, a Xylosynth. What an axe!!! It triggers extremely quickly and can be played for percussion parts with great flexibility and control. Of course it rules for mallet parts, like vibes and anything of that ilk.

my vote? pad controllers of all types are totaly worth using. You don't need them for simple parts however.

cheers!

Ive got the original AKAI MPD16 and its the worst. Its too light so when you play it it slides all over the place. I had to use 3M Dual Lock to hold it down. Pad velocity sensitivity is pretty much non-existant. If you dont have it on "full level" Its like playing whack-a-mole.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
I impulsively bought a second-hand Akai MPD 16 a couple of months ago. I've plugged it in and tapped on the pads to make sure it works. But, that's about it. I don't really see any difference between this unit and tapping in drum hits with a midi keyboard. Maybe some people like the layout of the drum pads better?

yeah, i had an mpd16 about 4 years now and not really got any further with it either. maybe i shud giv it another chance sometime, but i'm happy with doing drums on a normal midi keyboard 2b honest. still, glad 2b remindd of its existence, might pull it out again and blow the dust off for one last go...

Do you know if the XY Pad can control parameters within Sculpture?

Yep you could, and that's a pretty cool idea, actually! I hadn't thought of that. The X/Y pad on the PK sends CC messages for both the X and Y axis. So you'd just assign those to whatever parameter in Sculpture you wanted to modulate or control.

Interesting to see how that would sound with the "flam" and "roll" applied as well. I'll have to check that out. :)

• 1 year later...
Hello,

Anyone using an MPD 32 ?

Akai made them so that they swing when note repeat is in use. The swing can be adjusted between 50 and 75, but does anyone know how to turn it off?

Thanks,

Greg

Hey Greg, as an old school mpc user i can tell you that swing at 50% means 0% for akai machines