Export MIDI- region only, not entire project

paulhogan

I am working on a film score, and I've run into an issue I can't figure out. I'd like to export MIDI regions that are deep into a project. For example, the cue is an hour into the movie. I want to create a part for an instrumentalist, but using just the selected MIDI region, not the entire project.

When I try to 'export selection as MIDI file' from the File drop down menu (or 'export as MIDI file' from a control click on the region), it creates a very long MIDI file with hundreds of empty measures at the beginning. When I import the MIDI file into Finale notation software to prepare the part, I have to delete hundreds of measures.

Is there anyway to export the region by itself without the preceding space? I want the start of the newly-created MIDI file to be the start of the region, not the start of the project.

Hi Paul!

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.2)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X El Capitan 10.11.2)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface Pro)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

I believe Logic does the right thing and timestamps the MIDI information.

When importing into finale it reads the time stamp and creates a big region. This doesn't happen in Logic at all.

So try this:

Drag and drop your file into a new Logic project file at 1.1.1.1.

Export this MIDI file and you should now be able to open it in Finale at bar 1.

Thanks Eric,

I've used this method, but switching back and forth between a large Logic project with loads of samplers etc and a new project for dropping the MIDI regions can be cumbersome. If I get all the MIDI regions ready and then drag them over all at once, its tolerable. I'm not sure it saves me much time as opposed to just deleting the measures in Finale.

I was also thinking about this in terms of exporting short MIDI regions within a track that others could use as loops. You have to copy and paste the region to 1.1.1.1 on a new track before exporting MIDI, right?

I wish the user could decide if the region was time-stamped or whatever.