MOTU 828MK2 Mic-Pre's REALY Quiet

vpunk

Hey gang,

I've been an owner of my MOTU 828Mk2 for a little more than a year now, and for as long as I've had it, it's always had pretty quiet Pre's - both are like this.

Of course I turned on the +48, but that still doesn't seem to help.

Is this typical of MOTU? The pre's are caled "Neutrick" (Sp?).

Anyone know how to fix this apart from amping the pre WAY up?

Chillin,

Tyler.

Neutrick is the brand of the connectors, not the pres.

What do you mean by "quiet"? Usually that means they have a low level of noise, and that's a good thing. Do you mean they don't have enough gain to provide you with a solid, strong signal? Is your gain all the way up and that's still not enough? What mic? What instrument?

Don't turn 48V on unless your mic needs it (in certain cases you can damage a mic by doing that).

Hey gang,

I've been an owner of my MOTU 828Mk2 for a little more than a year now, and for as long as I've had it, it's always had pretty quiet Pre's - both are like this.

Of course I turned on the +48, but that still doesn't seem to help.

Is this typical of MOTU? The pre's are caled "Neutrick" (Sp?).

Anyone know how to fix this apart from amping the pre WAY up?

Chillin,

Tyler.

+48 didn't help !!!

If its a guitar or keyboard, you're right.

What is quiet, everything ?

Mics, keys, guitar, bass ?

Does your mic lead have a 1/4" jack plug on it or a 3 pin Plug? I tried a mic lead with a 1/4" jack and my Motu 828 behaved like it had a guitar plugged in and was quiet as hell. That socket on the Motu is a multi kinda deal. I chased up a different lead, with a 3 pin plug and that seemed to fix the problem. The Motu knew it was a mic

In my Metric Halo card, you have to select the proper level from a pop-up menu, for whatever you have plugged into it. This is available from the software "console" that comes with the your sound card. You should see choices such as Line, Instrument, +4, -10 and mic levels. Go thru these and try to match level of what you're recording. This should fix the problem. Often, if this is set wrong, you will seem to get a low level... along with spikes that go way over suddenly. Long ago, I was recording a bass player & trying diff pre-amp. And we had to keep changing this to match the diff output levels of the pre-amps.