Keyboard controllers

I'm seeking some input re: keyboards. I have a Korg O1WFD that I am currently using with my soft synths (non weighted). It works fine but I was hoping for something with more keys (76 or 88) and better control over velocity. (That's 88 can't shake that emoticon!)

I'm thinking I would really enjoy weighted since I play some piano. I'm not really looking for a lot of whistles and bells as I have A Mackie control surface etc. Since I don't play out this would be for studio use. I don't really need any sounds in the KB - just seeking a controller.

Velocity control seems to be a big thing to me. When I lay down string parts I'm forever readjusting the velocity of notes.

I'm trying to keep an open mind re: price but it would be nice if it were under $1000. Haven't liked what I have read about M Audio. Opinions on CME or Fatar?

ShouldI spend the bucks on a 'real' KB or are the mechanics there at a decent price point without having to spend several grand on a KB with lots of sounds?

So what are you guys using out there? What are some other considerations? - thanks

For a master keyboard controller, you can't go wrong with one of the new CME boards. The VX8 ($999) 88-key, fully-weighted keyboard has trigger pads, motorized faders, a ribbon controller, transport buttons, pedal inputs, rotary knobs and a ton of other features I can't think of at the moment. But I've played on one and if you're a piano player, you'll love the feel of the keys. It's also built tough as a tank...really well-constructed. I would forget about M-Audio and check out a CME at a music retailer near you. They're awesome!!

Peace - xpander

If you are very desperate use the logic built in keyboard, TAB key command brings it up., not sure now since im not in the studio.:lol: joking....

But i drag around a M-Audio Ozone with a friend i produce with, we can use M powered Pro Tools and while all Digi or M-Audio products are designed to ONLY work well with Pro Tools to make themselves smell like roses, when the audio fails the midi at the least keeps going., but you can use it with Logic and its ok.

Basically M-Audio midi stuff is fine, its the AUDIO that you can not rely on from time to time since Digi makes there drivers., i rarely use Pro Tools outside the HD system so for me its fine.

BTW i ordered a MUC Pro, cant wait to get it, have you been happy with yours ?, i heard there are problems with Pro Tools 7.3

Thanks for the input!

BTW i ordered a MUC Pro, cant wait to get it, have you been happy with yours ?, i heard there are problems with Pro Tools 7.3

I have used Pro Tools but not with my MCU. I am a certified user of PT but Logic is my choice. It just behaves so much better. Plus I'm not a big fan of their business tactics - having to buy their stuff.

I will check out the CME. Thanks!

Thank-you xpander.

I started a thread on the CME VX series keyboards a while ago. The Music stores around here can all get them, but don't stock them. I couldn't find anyone who has played one. The motor faders and transport seem like they might help smooth the input phase of a project.

For the mixing phase I slant toward the Mackie Universal Control. Hmm.

Day dreaming. Good.

cheers.

I played the M-Audio Keyboard (88 key MAP $500). Definitely NOT worth the money in my opinion. They keys were so uneven in response. It amazes me that this thing is even allowed on the showroom floor. No one has the CME here in town so I can't try it out.

I already have a Mackie MCU and C4. I am considering spending the bucks on the Roland Roland RD-700SX or 300SX. I really like the action espacilaay on the 700SX. It is upgradeable, has USB etc.

I really don't need the extra controllers to run the transport. Is there any other reason anyone can think of for having assignable buttons to the DAW other than transport control and parameter tweaks?

I have an M-Audio Axiom 49 and it's ok. Not great, the keys feel really cheap but it's what I have for now for an on-the-desk keyboard controller and it works. Plus I bought the thing used off Craigslist for a steal of a price. While I know you're looking for more keys I imagine the larger models are similar in every way but the number of keys.

When I need to play piano or EP (and use sample libraries/soft synths) I use a Studio Logic (Fatar) 88 key hammer weighted keyboard controller and it's pretty decent. It has some very usable velocity and response curves. No other real features though other than 4 active zones and some other features that I hardly ever use. I think that they make some other controllers with the same keyboard but more knobs and impressive moving thingys. I would definitely check them out, although I don't recommend Studio Logic if you plan on carting it around to gigs. It's heavy but the buttons aren't particularly suited to the stresses of the road (from experience.)

A used Yamaha S80 could be a lot of fun, and that thing has a great piano feel (and some decent piano sounds among others.)

Thanks for the input. I've read mixed things re: Fatar but I'll do some more checking on that too. I heard Fatar builds alot of keys for Roland and others but some say their own are less quality. I wish I lived in an area where the variety was greater. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble who thought Nampa, Idaho was the music mecca of the world! :lol:

The Roland isn't very light either but it looks very sturdy.

Thanks for all the input everyone.