Question about Matrix window grid.

Jose2Hype

I have a question about the grid that appears in the matrix window. How can you make the rectangles coincide with the proper quantizing? For example I have the kick at 1 per bar and that shows on the grid as lined up on that darker line. However, when I zoom in and want to manually pencil in a snare roll say at 1/32 the rectangles don't line up. Looks like they are set for 1/8 or 1/16. So how can I make the grid rectangles show up for these timings?

Thanks in advance.

PS I used to use Cubase and that feature was very helpful. It would automatically adjust accordingly.

You can adjust the division (or format) by adjusting the setting at the bottom left of the matrix.

Where? All I can find is the slider for zooming or the crosshair thing that only seems to scroll up or down, despite having arrows in four directions.

I thought I can only change the Matrix grid via the Transport window?

Where? All I can find is the slider for zooming or the crosshair thing that only seems to scroll up or down, despite having arrows in four directions.

I thought I can only change the Matrix grid via the Transport window?

I don't have Logic open in front of me.. but it should be just below (or just above?) the Quantize button, below the toolbox, in the left column.

Would anyone know how to have two separate matrix windows on one screenset that display 2 different regions? e.g the top displaying drum track, and the bottom displaying bass track? thanks ! :D _neil_

Open one. Click the Link button with the chain in it until it is off (grey). Then you should be able to open a second matrix window. Close your Arrange window & then go to the Windows menu in the menubar & choose Tile Horizontally.

....... it should be just below (or just above?) the Quantize button, below the toolbox, in the left column.

No. I've got nothing extra there, & there isn't anything else in that area in the picture of the Matrix in the manual. When you get a chance could you post a picture?

It's there, for sure. Look closer? It's blue on black or something.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Doh! I'd never thought that little window was anything other than a display relating to the quantise button so I'd never paid much attention to it ..... or realised I could alter things with it. Best lesson of the day that one! :D

Yep, it kinda looks like the quantize setting, being right next to the Q button. You don't know how many people think it's the quantize setting, and try to click the Q button and think it's a bug when nothing happens.

But it's really a division setting, and you have to click-hold the Q button to choose a quantize pattern.

I was taking a screenshot while you replied.. oh well I'll put it here anyway for future lurkers:

02-001.jpg.dd13c3fa069bbecb88f5de481b9857cc.jpg

Would anyone know how to have two separate matrix windows on one screenset that display 2 different regions? e.g the top displaying drum track, and the bottom displaying bass track? thanks ! :D _neil_

You can also use "show selected regions only" from the Matrix local menu.

Select multiple regions, double-click Matrix background and then check that menu item. And unlink that window. Now it will always display any number of selected regions. I have a screenset with this set-up with Matrix on top, Arrange on bottom. Downside is you can't left corner drag with this method but it is useful even so, like if you want to use the transform simultaneously on a series of regions on one track or just being able to view all those regions as if they were contiguous in the Matrix.