Snap, cut and region positioning issues!

FQ-400

Hi,

since moving from Logic 7 pro to X pro (now 10.2.2), iv had nothing but issues... its driving me up the wall.

I have put a few posts on GS but not had lots of luck there.

Today's most annoying issues is the snap function when moving and cutting audio regions. I have attached screenshots to help explain.

i noticed this when i placed a region at the start of the bar beat/bar corrected the length top end at the end of the beat/bar and this over lapped my next region by a small amount. overtime i altered the end point either moving or with scissor tool, it would not land on an absolute value (a sample would be fine) i have changed from smart to sample snap and it just will not land correctly.

at first i thought that this was a graphic issue, but looking at the region info, its clearly not!

Is this a known bug?

Thanks

145422550_ScreenShot2016-04-02at13_13_07.thumb.png.aa169cc989ce80811b7afbd07c5d6bdd.png

region 'looks' snapped, but position has '.' after numbers

1062682585_ScreenShot2016-04-02at13_14_21.thumb.png.c465490551e2637b1655a29ac61b552d.png

Snap settings

931504238_ScreenShot2016-04-02at13_16_25.thumb.png.156ba8e385a7663b02caa784e22e979c.png

play head position (and therefore cut position) simply will not snap to grid

Edited by FQ-400

Since starting the thread, i have carried on experimenting. I have attached another project's audio and shown what happens when i try to cut bang on bar 1. i have screen shot my only 2 options... neither are on the bar. (all screen shots are at max zoom btw). this is with smart and 'sample' snap. when i click on bar snap, it only allows option 1 (the closest to the start of the bar).

*** EDIT - Although im describing this as 'snap' iv just turned off snap altogether and the same results occur...

What is going on?!

43598836_ScreenShot2016-04-02at15_39_48.thumb.png.dff85c96032d95fb2e39c821b9909c17.png

Start of bar cut attempt 2

80735045_ScreenShot2016-04-02at15_39_51.thumb.png.5ea21c1d3ec57113682051610a4133ea.png

Start of bar cut attempt 1

So... iv now spent all day on this and still none the wiser. Logic X is SO counter intuitive!!!

Iv added another screen shot showing the audio editor and arrange page disagreeing with each other... I really hope its me being stupid and not the programme

1916173141_ScreenShot2016-04-02at17_57_17.thumb.png.7984830c09609bcecbe74d4dffc1a76a.png

Arrange page and audio editor don't even agree

Here's another linked issue.

I imported the bounced audio file, used scissor tool to cut at the bar division markers (cursor exactly placed) and its caused the regions to overlap at the cut point... i have not touched the region other than with scissor tool

367489085_ScreenShot2016-04-02at19_24_07.thumb.png.cd03abcc50dcdb25ed6197d4bd4c3102.png

Scissor tool caused overlap...

Here we go... perfect example illustrated in the following 5 screen shots.

1) Shows full 4 bar loop start and end perfectly (position and length)

2) Im holding the scissor tool down at the start of bar 2 to make a cut (when i release, cut is made)

3) Cut made, left hand region highlighted to show cut is NOT where i placed the scissor tool and also length value confirms this wrong position (therefore 100% not a GUI visual error)

4) Right hand region highlighted. the start point (position) is perfect, but this shows a length change!!! meaning...

5) The end of the region has moved backwards and created a gap!

This is madness!! what is going on? Please help Logic experts!

Thanks

1166870946_ScreenShot2016-04-02at19_46_18.thumb.png.cd032252a41b1f2fb0a597996ba5572a.png

1858852204_ScreenShot2016-04-02at19_45_55.thumb.png.f57fdb34c291048f94d99d96565821b0.png

245476203_ScreenShot2016-04-02at19_45_48.thumb.png.9c58c90cb1e7fc5993eaa631a5e7db4e.png

34954320_ScreenShot2016-04-02at19_45_38.thumb.png.d0262af9a37b6c55c72477415d48db2c.png

1402702027_ScreenShot2016-04-02at19_45_29.thumb.png.62e543779be1cfc42c65bb86d8703656.png

Hi, I can confirm your issue. It seems to be tempo-dependent.

There seem to be certain tempos, where logic can´t evenly distribute the samples of an audio-file to the grid.

Tried your experiment with creating a new song where the default-tempo was 120 bpm and couldn´t create the odd behavior.

Then I set the tempo to 176 bpm as in your example and bam, same behavior as yours.

Setting the tempo to 175 changes back to normal.

Hi wolfgerb,

Thanks for your input and time on this issue.

The very small amount of good news is that i am atlas not doing anything wrong.

The bad news however, is that i have 10 years worth of work/material/samples @ 176bpm and cannot simple migrate to 175bpm....

What can i do? Just keep on at apple? anyone here work for apple?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Bump for any additional input and perhaps you can take 2 mins to conduct the simple test below at your chosen tempo.

This affects lots of BPMs, even noticing issues at 136bpm, so not isolated to the upper tempos only and may be affecting you with out you knowing!

Have a look at your chosen BPM.

- Import audio track to main window

- Max horizontal zoom (+high vert zoom to have a better chance of spotting anomaly)

- Cut region using scissor tool at bar or beat/grid divider

- Take note of *visual* region position of start and stop points around cut point

- hover over each new region, holding mouse button down to see start and position 'meter'

- A '.' after the number means it is not bang on grid/bar.

- If slightly out either visually or by the meter, try to manually drag (with or with out snap) to correct position

Please let me know your findings.

Thanks

Tom

• 1 month later...

Bump.

10.2.3 has not addressed this issue, which is affecting a lot of us, mostly unknowing!!

Please report to apple guys.

Very quick test reminder:

Have a look at your chosen BPM (my particular issue is at 176BPM)

- Max horizontal zoom (+high vert zoom to have a better chance of spotting anomaly)

- Take note of *visual* region position of start and stop points around cut point

- hover over each new region, holding mouse button down to see start and position 'meter'

- If slightly out either visually or by the meter, try to manually drag (with or with out snap) to correct position

The smaller the grid division (i.e 16th bar etc) the worse the problem, eventually affecting Logic's template tempo 120BPM!!

Thanks all!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I had reported this BUG it is a bug they had contact me 4 times.. I had send the files etc..

before update 10.2.3 and 10.2.4 and the havent fixed this BUG.. sad..for me.

Believe it or not this is the most encouraging thing I have read having to do with this bug.

I have spent countless wasted hours trying to chase down if regions moved or not on heavily edited projects and I attribute weaker less impactful mixes to this bug alone. The phase relationships are always moving around, group mode or not. 

The fact that they even responded is what is encouraging. I have also reported it multiple times.

I have wondered if we haven't seen a fix because the house might fall down.

Thanks for sharing.

• 4 months later...

Logic Pro X 10.3.1

this BUG Drive me CRAZY.............

this is what happens when you record in cycle mode..

then "Select All Inside Locators" then .. "Repeat Regions and Events" many times..

at some advanced POINT.. in you Project this starts happening.. 4 YEARS APPLE ¡ 4 YEARS ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

come on ¡....

Who Many TIMEs SHould I Report This BUG ??? please Guys.. send this BUG to apple.. feedback too..

PLEASE ¡

1367069429_NormalZoom.thumb.png.fd4615534da2ef8847da8b9c26193842.png

150120139_SuperZOOM.thumb.png.c6c8ceddd019f14287e3f9d4f3634043.png

• 10 months later...

I have a new_ way to reproduce this very STRANGE_ bug, not only when splitting_ steps_

1_ create a new "empty project from logic templates"

2_ enable cycle mode_ and set the tempo to 199. and add a audio track and record audio

3_ duplicate the track

4_ record on the second track_

5_ select all in the main windows with command duplicate selectiion

6_ zoom a lot and see the end zones recorded_ how they start to shift position the more you duplicate them_ in the end of the zones the more they start "shifting".

I reported to apple like 25 times. 2 times they responded and I send the project etc_ and never got and answer back. end of the history __

PLEASE report this bug to apple.

• 1 year later...
it's march 4th 2019 and I STILL have this bug. I thought I was the only one experiencing this. However I was going mad today trying to understand why I'm getting a fraction of a region playing at the beginning of the next bar. clearly there's no hope in sight for a fix, but it's a SHAME Apple can't make editing BASICS just work right. Really? I can't repeat sections of a song? So yeah, im just hear to echo how frustrating this because I CAN'T fix.

Hi guys Same problem here I think I know maybe one reason. I think once an audio file has been flexed ti keeps some kind of instability in its dna, no matter what new project you import your file in.

The reason why I think that is because after exporting a region as an audio file and then importing it in a new project, I still had the message saying there are some non active flex markers and if I modify the length of the region it would delete them, so even though I had never used or activate flex in this project I had this message. So that made me think weird maybe the files keep some traces of flex in their codes.

Then I went back to the original project from the recording session where the files had never been comped or flexed yet and the problem was gone...

This is what my problem looks like when I cut all tracks in one place, they're all supposed to be exactly cut at 26 and look at this freaking mess...

e23809f8653e2d4dbe1c02053e650646-full.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
Bump.

10.2.3 has not addressed this issue, which is affecting a lot of us, mostly unknowing!!

Please report to apple guys.

Very quick test reminder:

Have a look at your chosen BPM (my particular issue is at 176BPM)

The smaller the grid division (i.e 16th bar etc) the worse the problem, eventually affecting Logic's template tempo 120BPM!!

Thanks all!

I just updated to 10.6.2 and tried this in a new project with an audio apple loop — one that I'd experienced this problem with before. BPM was 126.

I tried cutting the loop several times and couldn't reproduce the problem. I dragged in another loop and cut that. The anomaly occurred with the second loop, but the not with the first (the one that I'd experienced this problem with before). I remembered that when I had the problem with that loop previously, I had flex enabled for that track. I enabled flex, but didn't change the tempo. Then I cut the loop and straight away the anomaly occurred. The length of the region to the left of the cut was correct, but amended with a "." The region to the right of the cut became slightly shorter.

I quit Logic, then created another new project. This time I made the project 130 bpm (the native bpm of the loop in question). I tried the same thing with the same loop without flex and the anomaly appeared right away. This time, the regions on both sides of the cut became shorter.

I quit Logic, then created another new project. I made the tempo 126 again. Dragged in the same loop with no flex enabled and made a cut. No sign of the anomaly. I enabled flex and straight away the length anomaly appeared, but only for the region to the right of the cut.

I repeated the procedure with the same loop in a new project at 120 bpm with flex disabled. No anomalous lengths after I made a cut, but the lengths of both region was appended with a "." I then enabled flex and as soon as I made a cut, the region to the right of the cut became shorter.

I experimented with other audio apple loops. With some loops when I'd cut them, the lengths of regions on both sides of the cut were correct, but one, the other or both were appended with a "." With other loops, the length of the regions to the right of the cuts was always incorrect. With ALL the loops, as soon as I enabled flex for the tracks and made a cut(s), the lengths of the regions to the right of the cuts became shorter. The length of the regions to the left of the cuts seemed unaffected, but sometimes their lengths were appended with a "." and other times it wasn't.

I was able to produce the same anomalies with non-apple loops. Green apple loops/MIDI loops seem unaffected.

Utter bloody madness :?

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, killer_pingoui said:

End of 2022... bug still not fixed, right ?

If you're referencing Apple Loops: They can not be split sample accurately. Might be a bug, might be a limitation specific to Apple Loops. As far as regular (linear PCM) audio files go, I don't see any issues with dividing/cutting/splitting them anymore in 10.7.5

9 hours ago, killer_pingoui said:

Nope, I'm experiencing the problem with simple audio. Cutting different audio regions (in different tracks) at the same marker via cmd+T leads to differents cuttings places and gaps, when zooming in. Which is a problem when you then move the cut regions.

That sounds like you’re having Snap to Zero Crossings switched on

• Like 1

OMG. Ok, after reading the whole conversation I understood that it was a bug.
But, no, it's a feature. Snap to zero crossings switched off and here we go, no more strange cuts.
And I understood the aim of the feature, and its' great now that everything is clear.

Thank you SO MUCH. I've been running Logic for years experiencing the problem without understanding (not professionally).

It's a great day !

• Like 2