Logic count-off problem

pkirst

u can use the old post trik of recording 1k beeps at the oncoming tempo and locking to smpte the audio file. (i thinnk) i going protoolers on u guys ;) sorry.

could that work?

i know theres is a way composers do this but forgot. maybe the last bar of the old measure is actually on the new tempo and carefully move 8th or 16th notes as if they where on the old tempo and at the same time add the count in for the new tempo.

grr... now i waana know

ejej

:wink:

How about suggesting this feature to APPLE ???

Oh they know believe me. Pretty much any trade show where Apple has a booth you can see all the film composers come and ask how come they can't have a count-in in 6/8 if the next section is 6/8, or a count-in at the new tempo if the new section starts with a tempo change.

They know!

But don't let that stop you: http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html

And yes, some of the Apple team read these forums on a regular basis.

There's a way you can accomplish this:

1. Print a click starting at the downbeat of your new-tempo section. Let's say it's 6/8 and your click is in 8th notes, and let's also assume that the tempo remains constant in the area where you recorded the click.

2. Double-click on this new audio file to open the sample editor. If the beginning of the file has blank audio at the top (which will happen depending on the method you used to make the recording) all you have to do at this point is invoke the sample editor's TRIM function to get rid of that blank space.

And if there's no blank audio at the top you don't have to trim anything.

3. So you now have an audio file of a click track where the start point & the anchor point are set to the beginning of the file, and set to play back at the very top of your 6/8 section.

So let's say that you want a 1-bar count into this new section of music. Assuming you've recorded a nice spikey click sound, move the anchor point up 6 clicks. Zoom in to make sure that you're aligning the anchor point to the very start of the audio spike. Now close the sample editor.

4. Start playback from the previous measure. You will now hear a measure of 6/8 counting into the new section of music that's totally independent of the tempo/click of the previous section.

If you want a two measure count, move the anchor point in 12 clicks.

This procedure works like a charm.

I was wondering if there is a way to have Logic count off a new section with a new tempo USING THE NEW TEMPO during the count-off? Is that confusing? Pro Tools f. ex. always counts off in the new tempo...

P

One thing I'll do sometimes is set the locators to span the section with the new tempo. Then, with Cycle set to off, I'll start record from the *last* bar of that section (the end of the section you're wanting to record to). After I hit record, and Logic is rolling, I'll turn on Cycle. So Logic will give me the 1bar countoff (or whatever you set it to) plus record to the last bar, then cycle back and keep recording from the left locator, the start of this section. You CAN start from the very end of the selection (position of the right locator), but I don't mind the extra bar, gives me time to get into the groove, etc.

Depending if it's audio or MIDI recording, and how you have prefs set, you just deal with that extra recorded bit at the end of the section- not a problem, really.