nudging like in pro tools

tatem

You do it all via Key Commands in Logic. Type "nudge value" in the search box. You can then assign

Nudge Event Position By + Nudge Value to +

Nudge Event Position By - Nudge Value to -

You then use the "Set Nudge Value" Key Commands to ...huh.. set the Nudge Value 8) to 1/2 or whole smpte frame, bar beat format or tick.

That way it becomes possible to very quickly nudge a region by one bar, 2 beats and 13 smpte frames, all with key commands.

I'm sorry, I don't have Express. Can somebody with Express verify that those key commands are missing?

Here's what you should see:

-------- Arrange and Various MIDI Region Editors --------

•Nudge Event Position by SMPTE frame +1

•Nudge Event Position by SMPTE frame -1

•Nudge Event Position by SMPTE Bits +1

•Nudge Event Position by SMPTE Bits -1

•Nudge Event Position by SMPTE frame + 0.5

•Nudge Event Position by SMPTE frame - 0.5

•Nudge Event Position by SMPTE frame + 5

•Nudge Event Position by SMPTE frame - 5

•Nudge Event Position by Tick +1

•Nudge Event Position by Tick -1

•Nudge Event Position by Format +1

•Nudge Event Position by Format -1

•Nudge Event Position by Beat +1

•Nudge Event Position by Beat -1

•Nudge Event Position by Bar +1

•Nudge Event Position by Bar -1

•Nudge Event Position by + Nudge Value

•Nudge Event Position by - Nudge Value

•Set Nudge Value to Tick

•Set Nudge Value to Format

•Set Nudge Value to Beat

•Set Nudge Value to Bar

•Set Nudge Value to SMPTE Frame

•Set Nudge Value to 0.5 SMPTE Frame

•Nudge Event Length by Tick +1

•Nudge Event Length by Tick -1

•Nudge Event Length by Format +1

•Nudge Event Length by Format -1

•Nudge Event Length by Beat +1

•Nudge Event Length by Beat -1

•Nudge Event Length by Bar +1

•Nudge Event Length by Bar -1

•Nudge Event Length by SMPTE frame +1

•Nudge Event Length by SMPTE frame -1

-------- Score Window --------

•Nudge Position Up

•Nudge Position Down

•Nudge Position Left

•Nudge Position Right

Not quite the same heading; certainly not the same commands - this is all I see:

-------- Arrange and Various Sequence Editors --------

Toggle Selection

Select all following

Select inside locators

Scroll to selection

Note overlap correction

Note force legato

Repeat objects...

Merge objects/Digital mixdown

Yup. When I did that, as I say, all I got was the one about 'Record'. Mind you, I get the same result if I type 'shite' in there too.

The ones I copied out in the last post are just under that heading in the global commands.

On my screen I get 'Find' rather than 'Search' and it's in the left-hand column. We are talking about Preferences > Key commands methinks, or am I barking up Paddle Creek with the wrong tree? Quite probable.

I'm loath to post a screen grab as I don't think it's a desperate matter. I can continue to zoom in the arrangement window and slip 'n' slide with the control key. How I love that control key. Oooh...

The ones I copied out in the last post are just under that heading in the global commands.

Sorry; correction: 'Global commands' is just another heading in the same window, not the overall heading. I shouldn't post until I've had my first cup of tea of the day.

...... or am I barking up Paddle Creek with the wrong tree?

No, mate. You're paddling up Barking Creek with the wrong dog :)

(London joke. Totally lost on our transatlantic cousins ...........)

Express *doesn't* support nudge. End of story.

What you need to do is mortgage the kids, sell the wife, and upgrade.

8)

• 3 years later...

I'm having a world of trouble with this one... Working on L8.01 and can't seem to be able to set the NUDGE value.

I'm tracking through a 16 track deck... and sending the signal from the Repro head to Logic... I need to account for the time it takes for the tape to travel at 15ips from the record head to the repro head and then bump the tracks forward in time by that specific amount.

I split the signal from a dynamic mic, to the deck and straight into the computer.. tapped the mic... and created a region from the direct to DAW transient to the tape delayed transient to find my nudge value.

This is a quick and easy thing to do in Protools.. and I'm sure it is in logic too.. but i'm just not finding it. I've found the nudge key commands but can't figure out how to nudge my regions by a user defined amount... In my case 0.0.0.09.06 smpte frames/seconds? or 0.0.0.2217 samples? is it.

And while i'm asking.. is there an easy way to figure out the length of a region for time calculation purposes??

THanks.

zack

i dont like the way logic has this set up. There should be a drop down menu like pro tools to select your nudge type and value, then just use the assignable keys for each. Thats a pain to have to assign each nudge type to a command. Just my opinion though. Im sure somebody is going to give me a reason why thats not done to justify logic in doing so(J/k kidding sensitive logic-philes).!

menu drop downs would be cool.. but the key command access is fine IF i could set it up to do what I NEED it to do.

Anyone???

I realize this might be baby-step-stupid simple.. but i've spent time with the manual - nothing really there and done a bundle of searches here.

Other than the nudge command I'm lost as far as moving regions by a user defined amount...

Manually picking up and moving the regions, just isn't going to cut it.

a thousand thanks in advance.

zack