Logic 8 announcement?

Apple have just been added to the list of exhibitors at AES in October...

ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod.

X

ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod.

I dunno. . . it seemed one short. :)

For what it's worth I think the single window interface rumour is true. Just read the soundtrack pro blurb... Apple seem really upbeat about it.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/soundtrackpro/interface.html

And it DOES work accross dual screens so that concern goes away.

I guess they might streamline the workflow and only build the core Audio + MIDI record, edit and mix tools into Logic and seperate out things like the EXS editor, score layout and maybe even the environment into seperate applications and have them cooperate like Final Cut Studio.

I guess they might streamline the workflow and only build the core Audio + MIDI record, edit and mix tools into Logic and seperate out things like the EXS editor, score layout and maybe even the environment into seperate applications and have them cooperate like Final Cut Studio.

Good grief, I hope not! That would be a dumb move. In fact the trend is the opposite and we're seeing more and more functions from the FCS apps get integrated with FCP. I think the day will come when it's just one app.

The "single window interface" is a bit of a confusing statement. Soundtrack Pro's interface CAN be single window, with everything tabbed, but ctrl clicking on the tab itself gives you the option "Tear off tab" which gives it a new window. So it's really just the same as it is now, or can be. The neat thing is that when you make these new windows and "snap" them together, resizing one causes its neighbors to resize too, which is very cool! Then there are various HUDs that can be opened too. See this quick screen layout I threw together:

http://www.fader8.com/Misc/ST-Screen.tiff

I can say that if Logic adopted this scheme, I would have no problem with it. The only thing I'm concerned with is that we still be able to open multiple windows of the same type.

I gotta say..after reading this stuff..

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/soundtrackpro/whatsnew.html

I can see why my Final Cut clients are starting to ask me to learn the new version of STPro and use it (instead of PTools or Logic) for their final sessions... Especially the auto-conform feature!

Now I'm even more curious as to what Apple is going to do with Logic 8 to make it DIFFERENT enough. I really can't figure out Apples strategy here.

I can see why my Final Cut clients are starting to ask me to learn the new version of STPro and use it (instead of PTools or Logic) for their final sessions... Especially the auto-conform feature!

Dave,

Try . . to . . resist.

It only gives the video editors excuses to make changes late in the game, instead of finishing their jobs in the first place!

I gotta say..after reading this stuff..

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/soundtrackpro/whatsnew.html

Have you tried it yet? Is it reliable if you have?

X

No..I haven't tried the new SoundTrack Pro..I have the older version (and it ain't bad for post work), but I don't have the $$$ to shell out to get the full Final Cut upgrade (nor do I REALLLY need it). If one of my clients has a gig and demands it, I'll have them add the $$ into the budget :)

yes..VI's and MIDI are the difference between Logic and STP..but...will it be enough??? Remember...there's some VERY cool things that the new STP does that even PTools doesn't do..and it's the King of Post software (imvho).

Fader...I do understand, and THANKFULLY..my video editor clients specifically come to be me because they DON"T want to be audio guys. But..some of them are pretty damn savy, and will want to use the tools they have (OR better yet...pay ME to come to their place and and use them FOR them).

I've already got a handfull of clients that simply FTP me a Quicktime Movie and an OMF/AAF...I do the post and FTP them back either Stems or a Mix.

I'm just sayin' that after watching the movies on the FCP/STP site..I'm drooling wanting some of those tools. They're pretty freakin' cool.

Apple BETTER NOT get 'rid of' the Environment...especially after all this time of me working/studying/taking classes/ just so I can ALMOST sort of kinda maybe sometimes on tuesday if it isn't raining UNDERSTAND the damn thing.

:)

sure...put it in the background more...make it a little less 'necessary' to HAVE to use it, but keep it for those of us who WANT it.

just PLEASE make it so I can assign the output of a bus to the INPUT of an audio track..(without Soundflower or some other hack) .that's all I ask.

:)

just PLEASE make it so I can assign the output of a bus to the INPUT of an audio track..(without Soundflower or some other hack) .that's all I ask.

+1

Seems to obvious to be a request. should have been there already for a long time....

anyone else on the speculation of Logic 8's release?

page 6 coming soon.

lol there really aren't enough rumours are there?

I heard from a friend's friend who's now dead cat had told him that this little old lady who was the great aunt of an uncle of a son of an emagic programmer that there's going to be a whole new way to open the program. Apparently it's going to revolutionary. What I've been told is that you have to pick up your computer, put your left leg in, your left leg out, do the hockeycokey (that's what it's all about) and only then will you be able to run the software. The Wii has a lot to answer for imo.