Curious: let's test our DSL speed against what's advertised!

I feel like I'm living in the middle-age. OK so I am a tech-head when it comes to Logic, but for my internet connection I just want it to work. So when after trying 12 companies that gave me 1 to 2 hours downtime a day, I found one that worked in 2003, I never switched.

OK so they sell me 1.5Mbps down, 384kbps up for $40/month. In reality I'm barely getting half that, not even a 1/3rd for upload:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/160642261.png

What did you buy, and what are you really getting? You can click on the image and choose the closest server to where you are located to test your speed, or google "internet speed test" for your favorite speed test.

BTW I just upgraded to 6.0Mbps down, 768kbps up + local & long distance phone for $60/month. Let's see how that will perform (I'll update this thread).

Now to go one step further. Anyone here an internet tech-head, that could tell me how I can tune my mac's TCP/IP settings to get faster upload speeds? I need to upload large files, and residential services aren't cutting it. Should I change the size of the packets or whatnot?

Now to go one step further. Anyone here an internet tech-head, that could tell me how I can tune my mac's TCP/IP settings to get faster upload speeds? I need to upload large files, and residential services aren't cutting it. Should I change the size of the packets or whatnot?

This is something that some people have done on Windows (particularly Win98), but I don't think it's necessary on Macs. If you have a crappy upload then no software tweaking is going to fix that.

What are you using to upload? Uploading to an FTP server? Sending directly to people through IM or something?

Generally Cable is better than DSL. Most DSL is asymmetric - it can't upload at the same speed as its download. I don't think Cable has this problem as much.

Yeah I'm uploading to an FTP website using Fetch. Yesterday I started uploading a 250MB session and this morning it wasn't even done. But in fact it was stopped, it just didn't upload anymore although the Fetch circular progress bar was still there, but stuck in position.

I'm wondering if it's a Fetch problem, my connection, their upload server (I doubt it)...?

I'm wondering if it's a Fetch problem, my connection, their upload server (I doubt it)...?

David, I've had similar experiences, but I think they have more to do with the connecting server than anything else. (Amount of traffic etc.) Of course, your upload speed will affect this, but not to the point of stalling.

For what it's worth, these are my results using Time Warner Cable.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/160996812.png

Take care,

Man do you realize your upload speed is 180x faster than mine!!!??? The files that take me all night to upload would only take me a couple of minutes...!!

OK I can't wait to get my upgraded modem and service, and if I still get lousy results I'll say goodbye to Earthlink!

Here is mine:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/163853394.png

And this depends also on the server.

I managed to get better results using a Los Angeles test server instead of one in Brazil.

Thousands of miles away from my house.

But today my navigation is kind of bad.

Some times gets very slow.

The internet service I signed should give me 4.000/5.000 kb/s of download rates on normal days.

Will try later when things get faster and with usual speed.

The upload speed is right though.

Archived