Curious: let's test our DSL speed against what's advertised!

My new modem gives me slightly better results.. but still far from what's advertised! (which is 8.0 Mbps down, 1.0 Mpbs up)

Edit: I just spent the past 2 hours on the phone with Earthlink tech support trying to see why I'm not getting the speeds I should. All they could do after 2 hours is file a support ticket. They are saying I will get a phone call from them within 24 hours. Let's see. BTW meanwhile the digital phone offered by Earthlink is useless. I have to dial international numbers 4 to 5 times before I can get through. Sometimes it just hangs up in the middle of a communication... sometimes there's weird noise, and sometimes I get my voice echoed to myself 1 second later making it virtually impossible to speak ... I need to go back to an old fashion landline. I'm not impressed.

I am right now "waiting in line" on the phone with Time Warner Cable, trying to setup an "extreme" hi-speed line, see if I can compare the results. EDIT: 10mn later I'm setup with an appointment, in a 5 days a tech is coming to install cable for me. Cool! Hope it's going to work better than Earthlink crap. They advertise 10.0 Mbps down, 1.0 Mbps up.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/165331276.png

Well see Ski, if you look at my original post, the first in the thread, you'll notice how much worse my connection was! I was getting sick of it, especially when uploading large files to FTP servers.

My connection is getting slowly better, but Earthlink's tech support is pretty much non-existent (they filed a trouble-ticket after 2 hours on the phone, didn't change a thing).

I can't wait for Thursday, when Time Warner is coming to install the cable connection. I have high hopes!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/166183990.png

Yes, I saw your post David, and thought to myself, "Man, and I lucky!" But then I saw the numbers other people were posting and went into shock :shock:

The upside is even with these fairly slow speeds up here in the stix, web pages open very very snappily. My upload time is usually not so bad, and usually close to or right at the advertised spec.

Good luck with T/W.

Wow... my dream. Well I'm really aggravated with Earthlink. I've wasted too much of my precious time on the phone with their incompetent techs, and my connection is worse than before I upgraded. I usually get better speeds, but sometimes I get worse speeds, and I get a LOT of disconnections.

Can't wait to see what cable offers me tomorrow. I'll report!

See, the main problem with DSL is that your phone lines need to top shape for it work. Here in Minneapolis most apartments and house's were built at the turn of the last century before the phone. So most of these buildings have the original phone line's from the 1920's! So the equation to remember is: newer the phone line=better the DSL service. :lol:

OK I finally got cable hi-speed installed. And boy am I happy. Now all I need is to disconnect my Earthlink service and never ever talk to anyone at earthlink again in my whole life. It feels so good to rant in a public forum where thousands are going to read this. Please guys. Forget about Earthlink. Worth company I've had to deal with in a long while. And try to explain to one of their tech that you're not getting the speed you should... all you'll get is "that's normal". Great, so that's normal to pay for 8Mbps but consistently get 1.8Mbps?

Anyway. My old Earthlink speed, and my below, my new Time Warner cable speed.

EARTHLINK's HORRIBLE ADSL

http://www.speedtest.net/result/160642261.png

COMPARE TO TIME WARNER CABLE INTERNET

http://www.speedtest.net/result/167976583.png

I'm so glad I found what I was looking for as well. Funny thing? I just called Earthlink to cancel my services, they asked me 12,000 questions and I kept telling them "I just want to cancel". Finally they "put me on hold" and hung up on me. That seems to be their specialty: keep you waiting for sometimes several hours (!) and then hang up on you. Grrrrr.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...