Understanding writing orchestral trailer music with samples?

Hey Forum. 

So I usually compose with electronic instruments, but as im growing as a composer I would like to start using samples eg.. spitfire's albion, LASS lite 2 for strings & cinebrass core for brass. 

I would like to try my hand at the compositions used currently in modern trailer music. 

I'm unsure where to start. The tracks sound huge and I don't know what the rules are, when it comes to doubling up on tracks or must it be realistic to the orchestra's players and sections. 

Do I compose for the instrument or the ensemble section? 

I've heard some composers talk about long and short notes, are they refering to composing in staccato and legato? 

Just some information on where I could start, 

Hope somebody out there knows! Thanks people. 

One: search online for online courses, write to them see what they offer in this field, there are quite schools offer this kind of material, tell them what you want, see what they can do. Your looking at a large field, which may require a lot of understanding, and learning. (ie. i dont know how much you know, eg music theory)

Two: pick up a copy of "The planets" by Holst, and get the sheet music too. If it's good enough to "inspire" Hans Zimmer then it's good enough for you. Can you read and understand what Holst has done? Any of it? All of it? None of it?

Three: If you have kontakt, look at the factory library, listen to the orchestral sounds of each instrument, how well do you know the sounds of each instrument? How well do you know its range, it's emotion. Then answer you own question, how does this emotionally make me feel if it's a) a solo instrument, or b) an ensemble. Repeat for different melodies in different ranges.

It's a large (actually huge, inc orchestration) question your asking in general terms, and there is a lot to learn. Not all trailers are Kettle drums and French Horns, some are incredibly subtle and each one tries to convey emotion and mood in a very short span of time, and that takes time to learn and master.

In fact re-reading this, do two and three first, then do one, you'll have a clearer understanding of what to ask, what you're looking for, and how they can best serve you. Best of luck.

There are many excellent online resources about orchestration.  http://www.orchestrationonline.com, for instance (with a very large collection of YouTube videos), and so on and on.  

There are also YouTube groups and websites specifically about "film score analysis," where the scores of popular film scenes are displayed on-screen alongside a clip of the movie.  It is quite astonishing just how much music is in a film.

The terms staccato and legato have more to do with how one note blends (or doesn't blend) into the next note, than with the duration of the note itself.  

There are many ways that, for example, a strings player can play a note:  bowing the string, or plucking it, or striking it with the bow.  The score includes all of the necessary instructions.

When you are creating a piece intending for it actually be played by a group, it is important that you understand each instrument, what is "easy" or "hard" (or "impossible") on a particular instrument, and the ability of your players.  You also want to give them interesting parts that they can dig into without becoming exhausted, frustrated, or bored.

• 1 month later...