Logic forgets external assignments for smart controls

fletchtown
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi,

I have an old MIDI controller (Kurzweil PC88, non USB) and I want to assign some of its MIDI faders to control smart control parameters in Logic. I have no problem using the External Assignment learn button to recognize the incoming fader message from the PC88. The problem is that when I create a new External Assignment on another track, then switch back to a track that I have previously created an external assignment on it seems to have forgotten the assignment. 

I assume this is not normal behavior but I can't seem to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fletch 

OSX 10.10.5, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

• Solution

Yes that's the issue, external assignments are global, not track dependent, which means that if you assign knob A to Smart Control knob #1 while track 1 is selected, knob A on your keyboard now controls the Smart Control knob #1 for any track you select. 

When you select another track and assign the same knob A to Smart Control knob #2, you're again making a global assignment that from now on knob A on your controller will control the second knob in Smart Controls for whatever track is selected. 

The best way to use Smart Controls is to map for example your 8 faders to the 8 first Smart Control knobs, in order. That way for any selected track, you know which fader to reach for to move which Smart Control knob. I hope that made sense? 

I was in the impression that Smart Controls assignments were (integrated) parts of the selected patch...?

Am I misunderstanding something?

Parameter Mappings (from Smart Controls to plug-ins parameters) are saved with the patch. External assignments (between MIDI controllers and Smart Controls) are global, and not saved with the patch.