How to DOWNSIZE a project, deleting files without having Logic try to access them on future openings of Project

RoyFan

Hello,

I often have projects that I want to downsize.

My method is to delete tracks from the main Logic Window.  I then go to the med/audio files/  folder inside my project file and delete the audio regions that were in those tracks that were deleted.

However, when opening up projects after doing this, I get message boxes telling me that Logic can't find certain files. 

Is there a better method to downsizing a project?  Is the secret to hunt down every single region that I've deletd from the Project Main window and make sure I delete those regions in the Audio File folder?

My method is to delete tracks from the main Logic Window.  I then go to the med/audio files/  folder inside my project file and delete the audio regions that were in those tracks that were deleted.

However, when opening up projects after doing this, I get message boxes telling me that Logic can't find certain files. 

Is there a better method to downsizing a project?  Is the secret to hunt down every single region that I've deletd from the Project Main window and make sure I delete those regions in the Audio File folder?

Yes, there is a better method. In fact you should never move media files used by Logic in the Finder. Use Logic instead, so that Logic always knows where the media files are.

First, to fix those projects that give you the alert that it can't find some audio files: open the project, open the Project Audio Browser, locate the references to the missing audio files (they should have an exclamation point next to them), select those references and delete them (select the line that displays the name of the missing audio file). Save the project.

Now for the better method: after you've deleted your tracks in the Tracks area, open the Project File Browser, choose Edit > Select Unused, and if you're happy that none of those audio files are being used by this or any other project, choose Audio File > Delete Audio Files. Now save your project.