"System Overload" - Stopping session. Even though everything is frozen!`

football

How the heck can this happen?  Every track (probably twenty tracks) is frozen and it still won't play to the end of the song.

Tried fixing by starting a new session, imported everything and still getting same error.  By the way, the suggestions it gives to make the session run better, I tried all those.  Something got corrupted, I believe.  So frustrating.

Error reads like this:

"System Overload - The audio engine was unable to process all required data in time.  You can try increasing the I/O buffer size, change the Multithreading option at Logic Pro X - Preferences - Audio - Devices"

My system is iMac 2016 4ghz i7, 32 Gig ram, 10.11.6, latest Logic.  I'd edit in my signature but can't find where that is.

By the way, David, I'd be happy to pay you if it's possible to remotely control my computer and try and figure this out.

I'm assuming it's only this song right?..  Logic does not freeze up.. you can close Logic and open another?... Try going back to earlier versions, and find where the problem starts. You opened Logic audio buffer to largest possible size? and 'applied' it right..  audio core will re-initialze each plug in.. does song stop at same place?... If you unfreeze everything, does project work?

Does your computer have an internal SSD?..  Can you copy song to internal SSD and get it too work..  seems like it would be drive connect to usb 2. however what was the thunderbolt drive?.. if it's SSD, then song is corrupt..

I'm not familiar with your model..  Has it handled 20 frozen tracks before? 

Did you try logging in as a different user and running the song?.  As a last ditch effort, unfreeze them, turn each into audio..  If all other projects are running fine, then it's this project only and it's corrupted..  Delete a few of the tracks, Perhaps its a certain track that is corrupt.. and try to isolate it.  

Look at activity monitor while running.. is there some non Logic process running that's hogging cpu..  try deleting Logic prefs..(you will only lose custom shortcut key assignments)  every once in a while. Something happens, songs stop.  and I look at activity monitor at see Logic at 60% while it's doing nothing..  

More drastic - reset SMS.. close all apps.  power down mac by holding power button.. keep it held down for over 10 seconds, also immediately unplug AC chord (this works on 2015 mac pro = better check if applicable for other models).. 

Hold down Control, Alt, R and P while booting up, .... mac will attempt to come on, chime, then recycle and try again.. Let it chime 7 times.. 

I'm assuming it's only this song right?..  Logic does not freeze up.. you can close Logic and open another?... Try going back to earlier versions, and find where the problem starts. You opened Logic audio buffer to largest possible size? and 'applied' it right..  audio core will re-initialze each plug in.. does song stop at same place?... If you unfreeze everything, does project work?

Does your computer have an internal SSD?..  Can you copy song to internal SSD and get it too work..  seems like it would be drive connect to usb 2. however what was the thunderbolt drive?.. if it's SSD, then song is corrupt..

I'm not familiar with your model..  Has it handled 20 frozen tracks before? 

Did you try logging in as a different user and running the song?.  As a last ditch effort, unfreeze them, turn each into audio..  If all other projects are running fine, then it's this project only and it's corrupted..  Delete a few of the tracks, Perhaps its a certain track that is corrupt.. and try to isolate it.  

Look at activity monitor while running.. is there some non Logic process running that's hogging cpu..  try deleting Logic prefs..(you will only lose custom shortcut key assignments)  every once in a while. Something happens, songs stop.  and I look at activity monitor at see Logic at 60% while it's doing nothing..  

More drastic - reset SMS.. close all apps.  power down mac by holding power button.. keep it held down for over 10 seconds, also immediately unplug AC chord (this works on 2015 mac pro = better check if applicable for other models).. 

Hold down Control, Alt, R and P while booting up, .... mac will attempt to come on, chime, then recycle and try again.. Let it chime 7 times.. 

When you say Logic doesn't ever freeze up - how can you be sure what he's experiencing isn't a Logic bug ?

Hi guys, thank you very much.  Will try these great suggestions by Monday.  Have travel gigs all weekend.  

Tried freezing tracks because of the specific error message:

"System Overload - The audio engine was unable to process all required data in time.  You can try increasing the I/O buffer size, change the Multithreading option at Logic Pro X - Preferences - Audio - Devices"

Thought if the error was accurate, freezing would likely help.  It did not.  Song stops usually in first chorus.  Changed the buffer many times.  System drive is SSD.