curious permissions problem when bouncing tracks

Hi

I have a strange problem.  I am using a mac mini with el capatino and logic pro x

When I bounce a track, I regularly find if I am returning to my 'bounce' directory I am unable to save anything to it.  If I pick another directory, I can save to it.   However, if I then return to that directory to do another bounce save, I cannot write to it.  I press bounce, and I cannot write.

I have checked permissions in the bounce directory and they are all read/write for all users. 

any ideas what might be happening?  It is only happening in Logic Pro X, no other software on my Mac. 

Barry

did you try "disk utility" and repair permissions ? 

Hi

Thanks for getting back.  My files are stored on an external hard drive, so cannot do a 'repair' or 'first aid' on that disk.  That only works for internal drives.  I have run it on both my internal drives in the mini mac.  No difference.

The strange thing, this is only happening when saving logic files.  If I save Word lyrics to the same directory, no problem.

I notice when I examine permissions that when I view the subdirectory from the root, the permissions are read/write, but when I open the subdirectory to actually save the file it says 'no access' in the permissions tab.  totally contradicting what it says when viewed from the root?

I noticed yesterday that I could save successfully in the root directory, but when I tried to save another version later, it wouldn't save.  I went out and back into Logic Pro and then I could save. 

Something is happening in the Bounce/Save process somehow?

Barry

That's good.

How do you connect that drive to your mac?

One thing that I like to do on external drives id to select them in finder then press Command - I to see the information pane.

At the bottom of the window enable Ignore ownership on this volume.

Thanks for this.  I will give this a try. 

I connect via USB.  Might that be a problem?

I tried to save in Word yesterday and no problem at all on the Bounce sub directory, saved without a hitch. 

I read somewhere that deleting the Bounce sub directory and re making it might solve the issue, but it persists.  I can save just ONCE, then subsequent saves don't work.

I found yesterday I could save ONCE to the root project directory, then I couldn't.  I rebooted my Mini Mac and still couldn't save.

Barry

That's good.

How do you connect that drive to your mac?

One thing that I like to do on external drives id to select them in finder then press Command - I to see the information pane.

At the bottom of the window enable Ignore ownership on this volume.

Thanks for this.  I will give this a try. 

I connect via USB.  Might that be a problem?

I tried to save in Word yesterday and no problem at all on the Bounce sub directory, saved without a hitch. 

I read somewhere that deleting the Bounce sub directory and re making it might solve the issue, but it persists.  I can save just ONCE, then subsequent saves don't work.

I found yesterday I could save ONCE to the root project directory, then I couldn't.  I rebooted my Mini Mac and still couldn't save.

Barry

This gets more and more interesting!  I did the get info on the external hard disc and the 'ignore' box is already ticked.  I unticked and reticked it, but no effect.

I tried bouncing my track to one of my internal SDD disks.  No problem.  I went back and tried bouncing another wav file, no good, won't bounce.

It seems that when a single file is bounced into a directory or sub directory it disables any further bounces, even though permissions are read/write for all users, everyone etc. 

This is seriously causing problems because I can only bounce files to individual directories I either make or find.  I am going to end up losing files soon.

Barry

Yes, you can do First Aid on an external drive!  (And it is a rather good idea to do that from time to time ...)

Indeed: e-x-a-c-t-l-y what is the message you are receiving?  Describe for all of us, step by step, what you are attempting to do and exactly what appears to stop you.  Don't leave out any descriptions nor any steps, and don't jump to any conclusions.  The odds are very good that you're chasing a red herring.

(P.S.: If I'm a guessing man, I'm guessing that it will not turn out to be "a permissions problem.")

What is the exact error message you get ? Is it an OSX or a Logic message ?

Hi

there is no error message.  This happens when I want to save a file on my external hard disc.  I start the bounce process, select the various wav or mp3 criteria, I open up the directory I want to save im usually defaulting to the Bounce directory, I name the file, when I click on 'bounce' which is lit up bright blue, nothing happens.  It is just a dead button.  When I look at the permissions section, I notice that it says Read/Write for all categories of user.

If I navigate to another directory I have not saved to before, (with the same permissions) then the bounce button can be clicked as normal.

If I return to the same directory to store a different wav or mp3 file, then the bounce button is again inoperative.

If I save a Word file into the same directory, it saves ok, and I cam save another document without any difficulty.

I have tried to reboot my mini mac, it makes no difference.

I have tried the same process on my internal SDD drive, and the same thing happens.  So it is not drive related?

I think Logic Pro is doing something to the directory permissions when more than one file is bounced to a directory?

Barry

when I click on 'bounce' which is lit up bright blue, nothing happens.  It is just a dead button.

Sounds like Logic is hanging.

Do you have Chrome open or anything in the background?

Hi

thanks for your ideas about this.  No, no Chrome open.  I have very little else open when I am doing music, it is my principle sofrtware when working on songs. 

The strange thing is that this happens AFTER a successful bounce to a directory, then I cannot bounce to it.  Sometimes after a period of time, I find I can then do another bounce, but this isn't related to rebooting or, as far as I know, opening or closing any software.  

I will try again and make sure all other visible background processes are closed.

Any iideas for working this out would be welcome.

Barry

I see now that you have excluded the possibility of it being the external drive since you are experiencing the same thing on one of your SSDs.

Have you tried bouncing to your desktop and then again to the same folder?

If that also fails I would try creating a new OS X Administration account and try the same procedure from that account.

I see now that you have excluded the possibility of it being the external drive since you are experiencing the same thing on one of your SSDs.

If that also fails I would try creating a new OS X Administration account and try the same procedure from that account.

Thanks for supporting me in this.  It feels great to have you and others scratching your heads too, When I started using Logic Pro about 2 years ago, this was definitely not happening, in fact I think even up to about 2 months ago.  The only thing I remember was an 'upgrade' or two in the period to Logic Pro X, I don't think I have installed any other new software which may have triggered this.  

As some people have pointed out, this doesn't seem to be a permissions problem as all the directories where I cannot bounce have full read/write priviledges.  I am pretty sure the right track is that something in Logic is changing when it recognises a previously bounced track in a directory, then just stops allowing further bounces.  Perhaps I need to reinstall Logic Pro from scratch and let it refind all the plug ins etc.  That's not a procedure I would look forward to as I have put quite a lot of effort into the 'look and feel' of my logic pro UI!   :-(  If that can be avoided, great.

I will first try the new OX X admin account and see if the same thing happens.

Barry

Hi

Using a new admin account solves the problem.  Unfortunately, I have spent 6 months setting up my old admin account, and my mac thinks this new account is like a new computer, with Logic scanning all the plugins again, and all my music apps needing re registering etc.  I have even lost my thunderbird email app somehow.

Any idea what this solution might be pointing at, which I could possibly fix using my old account?

My guess is that some app is somehow not playing nicely with Logic Pro? 

Barry