Logic X - Grid Divisions for 5-tuplents and 7-tuplets

larryt

Hi there,

I am composing orchestral music in Logic Pro and would like to be able to step-input 5-tuplets and 7-tuplets so that I can have string and woodwind runs.  I know how to adjust the grid divisions in the transport bar, but is there a way to customise this so I can enter /5 or /7 etc.  

Thanks for any help,

Larry

• 6 months later...

sorry guys to resurrect this thread. I must admit I cheat often when creating septuplets and quintuplets, just drawing or playing them myself. But recently I'm working on some music that contains pretty much continuous passages of different tuplets, overlapping on different staffs. I could just copy and paste, but I would like to have a more efficient and precise manner of inputting. I am working on a score that resembles something like the example below. 

I don't necessarily need it to look perfect in the score editor, as I use Dorico for final presentation of score, but I would like to experiment with the different options of overlapping tuplets. What, in your guy's expert opinion,  is the most efficient way of entering lesser-seen tuplets?  Volovicg, your method looked really cool. Would you mind giving me  a quick break down of that? Again, sorry, my score editor knowledge is well below subpar compared to the rest of my Logic knowledge. 

http://www.alexformosa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Sample.pdf

http://www.alexformosa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Sample.pdf

Edited by aleos

I echo aleos' request.  I can't seem to create a "tuplet" space without at least a note at the beginning to drag the tuplet bracket over.  Also, I prefer to enter with the piano keyboard (MIDI) as opposed to the step entry keyboard.  This requires turning on the "Red Midi" icon.  I find that is a bit buggy, sometimes you have to "reload" the screen set and turn it back on... kind of weird.  Anyway, I digress (as usual).  To be more concise;

1. How do you get a tuplet with (for examples) 5 1/16th rests without have a note on which to hang the tuplet bracket?

2. When using the regular midi keyboard to input, Is there a way to tell the input choice that (for example) the next notes and/or rests (input with sustain pedal) are going to be seven 1/16ths fitting into the space of four 1/16ths

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Eric, you're a smooth operator. Thanks so much.

I guess I have to familiarize myself with time handles more. I've seen a few explanations on the forums where I think you've mentioned them. I think you answered my request for an easy way to retrograde a selection a while back.

A

• 3 years later...