Step Editor and Multiple Tracks

velanche
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

HI There;

I had an idea to try and use the Step Editor to draw out modulation for multiple tracks, particular a summed track + a separate bass track. I was trying to do this by selection all of the affected tracks in the Main Window via section the regions I want. I open the Step Editor, changed to MIDI Controls, and test by drawing out both Pan and Modulation. When I played them back, it seems to have had no effect.

Firstly, can I edit multiple regions at once in the Step Editor? Second, can I use the Step Editor to edit a summing track with stacked tracks inside?

Thanks!

• Solution
Firstly, can I edit multiple regions at once in the Step Editor?

No.

Second, can I use the Step Editor to edit a summing track with stacked tracks inside?

Yes. All your editors edit the contents of a region. It doesn't matter where the region is located.

I'm not clear on what you're trying to achieve though: apply the same modulation effect to both your summing stack and your bass which is on another track? If that's the case, here's one suggested workflow (there are many others):

1. Select your bass track.
  2. Choose Track > Other > New Track With Same Instrument.
  3. Create an empty MIDI region below the bass region you want to affect and draw in your modulation. Once you're happy with it...
  4. You'll want to merge that MIDI region with both the bass region and the summing stack region at the same song position. You can do that either by going to overlap mode and copying the region to the summing stack track, or copying the region to another adjacent track (it doesn't matter what that track is).
  5. Make sure you merge each modulation-MIDI region with each instrument region.

Hope that made sense?

Yep, you got what I was looking for.

That was quite the hat trick, but I've tested the instructions and it looked as if it did the business. It's a pretty clever hack, but I suppose whatever it takes to get the job done. :-) I saved your instructions, for future reference.

Thank you again, David!

V.

An update: I was actually able to use the Step Editor on the Summing Stack track to affect the instruments within them.

The trick of doing that is that I have to actually record (or create) a region on that summed track. If the regions fall inside--that is, on each track--and not on the summing track, then yes, I could only use the Step Editor individually on those tracks.

But with the disclosure triangle closed, when a region is on the summing track, then it's possible to use the Step Editor, which will see the summing track and allow me to make edits there.

I just wanted to make that clear; those distinctions are kind of important.

An update: I was actually able to use the Step Editor on the Summing Stack track to affect the instruments within them

Good to hear you got what you wanted. Now to clear up some potential confusion...

First, Logic's MIDI editors (Score, Piano Roll, Step Editor, Event List) display and allow you to edit the contents of any MIDI region. Those editors are not concerned with tracks, nor are they concerned with what track or what subtrack or main track of a track stack the MIDI region Resides. They just display the MIDI region's content and allow you to edit the MIDI events. 

Now regarding the (confusing) display of MIDI regions on summing stacks:

1. When a MIDI region is resides on the stack's main track (wether created or recorded or moved or copied to that track), the MIDI region triggers all instruments within the stack. 
  2. When a MIDI region resides on a subtrack, it triggers only the instrument on that subtrack.
  3. When multiple regions reside on different subtracks at the same position and the stack is closed, and no MIDI region exist on the main track, a folder is displayed on the main track to represent the multiple regions.
  4. When a single region resides on a single subtrack and the stack is closed, and no MIDI region reside on the main track, that single region is displayed on the stack's main track - even though it doesn't reside on the track's main stack. Which means that a MIDI region displayed on a closed summing stack's main track could actually reside either on the main track or on a single subtrack. The only way to know is to open the stack. 
  5. When at least one MIDI region resides on the stack's main track, MIDI regions on subtracks are not displayed at all when the stack is closed.

Hope that helps, let me know if you find anything else on that topic!