Creating monophonic drum sections (closed HH vs Open HH)

Lazy M Beats
Go to solution Solved by Arnaud,

Hello,

I was wondering how it is possible to do a few things with the EXS 24.  Please correct me if I am using the incorrect terminology/vocabulary.

1) Within an EXS 24 patch, I would like to be able to gate certain samples based on when other keys are pressed.  For instance I sampled a drum set and i would like to be able to have it so that my open Hi hat samples are gated/cutoff when my closed Hi Hat samples are triggered.

2) Between two EXS 24 patches, I would like to do the same thing.  Let's say I have two instances of the EXS 24, one using a closed 808 Hi Hat and the other using an open 909 hi hat.  I would like to have two separate instances of these instruments because I want them processed differently.  Is it possible to gate/cutoff the open 909 hats from the other instance of EXS that triggers the closed 808 hats?

Thanks!

• Solution

1) Within the EX24 editor, group your HH samples, set the Group's parameter to Poly and the number of voices to 1

See there: https://documentation.apple.com/en/logicstudio/instruments/index.html#chapter=12%26section=16%26tasks=true

2) You can't do it from within EXS24, but there's a workaround I know of, which is basically based on ducking:

As the open HH should be "shut off" by any closed HHat sound, insert a Compressor on the Open HH channel, with a very low threshold and very high rate, short Attack (release to be adjusted depending on your material) and definitely no autogain whatsoever, ans sidechain it to the closed HH (using a bus send on the latter and selecting that bus for sidechain in the compressor). Any signal on the closed HH channel will duck the open HH to a very low level (the threshold level in the compressor).

Thanks for the reply Arnaud!  Both tips are great.  I could see how the compressor thing would work but it's not ideal. 

Does anyone have a recommendations for good software samplers?  Maybe it's because I'm somewhat of a novice with the EXS 24 but it seems like it leaves a lot to be desired still...

Check out another post regarding the pitching of individual samples within a kit I made about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123198&p=636764#p636764

Does anyone have a recommendations for good software samplers?  Maybe it's because I'm somewhat of a novice with the EXS 24 but it seems like it leaves a lot to be desired still...

The EXS24 is actually quite a great sampler, although it does have its idiosyncrasies... one of its biggest advantage is its very low CPU resources requirements. 

If you want sampler recommendations you should start a new thread in our Music Production Techniques and Gear forum and detail exactly what features you need that the EXS24 doesn't have. Probably link back to that thread about the soloing/pitching of samples where you did explain what it is you're looking for.