macOS Sierra - Not supported Software and Hardware

I don't understand Apple (and other software companies) did not grasp yet that what the majority of users are after is simplicity and reliability.

Well my dear friend you're wrong! At least about simplicity ! iPhone users wants features, features and features and a good camera. Integration between their APPLE devices is what Apple wants to offer. iPhones, iPad and soon, iCar. Integration,integration and integration. Desktop computers, euh, well, no more marketing strategies toward those products. 

But you should be fine with ELcap for a while, as we were ok with Yosemite. :D

I don't see features' addition being incompatible with simplicity. OTOH, the Integration trend is also inspired/fueled by the same simpicity principle, isn't?

And of course, "operating systems are freakishly complicated software beasts."  (I should know, but that's another story.)  Inevitably, no matter how hard the vendor works to get all the problems out before release, there will still be perhaps-thousands of un-closed issues remaining, of varying degrees of severity.  And many more will be opened in the days and weeks thereafter.  You should not be the slightest bit surprised by this.  (Apple is, of course, a "best of the best" development organization in both hardware and software.)

Therefore, I ascribe to the mantra that says, "Computer software like fine wine: let it age."  I'm probably going to install Sierra sometime next January.  By that time, the first several interim-releases will have come and gone, and a great many discussions will have been made (here, and elsewhere) that I will peruse.  The teams that are developing other software that I use will also have by that time dealt with Sierra issues and will have mostly-solved those issues.  I can wait.

And of course, "operating systems are freakishly complicated software beasts."  (I should know, but that's another story.)  Inevitably, no matter how hard the vendor works to get all the problems out before release, there will still be perhaps-thousands of un-closed issues remaining, of varying degrees of severity.  And many more will be opened in the days and weeks thereafter.  You should not be the slightest bit surprised by this.  (Apple is, of course, a "best of the best" development organization in both hardware and software.)

Therefore, I ascribe to the mantra that says, "Computer software like fine wine: let it age."  I'm probably going to install Sierra sometime next January.  By that time, the first several interim-releases will have come and gone, and a great many discussions will have been made (here, and elsewhere) that I will peruse.  The teams that are developing other software that I use will also have by that time dealt with Sierra issues and will have mostly-solved those issues.  I can wait.

then you also know that: 1. software is never finished, and 2. apps and OS's are not always in sync. fortunately for me, logic X is an apple app; though i've definitely experienced issues during beta testing, by the final version, things seem pretty great. still, there will never be a moment when every app is in balance with the OS. it's always a "journey not a destination:".  

No  issues to report re. Sierra/Logic ProX. All 'Native Instrument' users should've received a reassuring email about compatibility which includes a list of older plugins no longer supported. I have noticed that my MB Pro runs 'hotter' than before. More fan activity than usual, although the episodes are intermittent & don't appear to follow a pattern. Edited by nigel paterson

Well my dear friend you're wrong! At least about simplicity ! iPhone users wants features, features and features and a good camera. Integration between their APPLE devices is what Apple wants to offer. iPhones, iPad and soon, iCar. Integration,integration and integration. Desktop computers, euh, well, no more marketing strategies toward those products. 

But you should be fine with ELcap for a while, as we were ok with Yosemite. :D

I don't see features' addition being incompatible with simplicity. OTOH, the Integration trend is also inspired/fueled by the same simpicity principle, isn't?

Agree! I don't want to be too much out of topic here so I will be short.

I just mean that, changing the os once a year to just, in the end, implement a bunch of new features common to all the os ( macOS,iOS, tvOS, etc) always brings its share of bugs and makes some more hardware to become obsolete, not working or unsupported. It's not what  I call simplicity. Simple as that. Release/fixes/release/fixes; you have to keep the hood open al the time, at least for a year when a new os is launched! But hey, that's fine with me. My late 2012 iMac runs fine with elcap, and I have no need to update to sierra since I wouldn't see nothing improved in Logic. As long as Apple keeps logic running fine on my system for the next four years, I'm in peace!

I just mean that, changing the os once a year to just, in the end, implement a bunch of new features common to all the os ( macOS,iOS, tvOS, etc) always brings its share of bugs and makes some more hardware to become obsolete, not working or unsupported. It's not what  I call simplicity. Simple as that. Release/fixes/release/fixes; you have to keep the hood open al the time, at least for a year when a new os is launched! But hey, that's fine with me. My late 2012 iMac runs fine with elcap, and I have no need to update to sierra since I wouldn't see nothing improved in Logic. As long as Apple keeps logic running fine on my system for the next four years, I'm in peace!

along with new features (and not many in sierra), there is always change under the hood;  theoretically, improvements over the previous OS, simpler code... and, sigh, new bugs. it's all relative, really, and, despite my continual early-adopting, what matters most (am saying this again) is the WORK we do. so, whatever works...

then you also know that: 1. software is never finished, and 2. apps and OS's are not always in sync. fortunately for me, logic X is an apple app; though i've definitely experienced issues during beta testing, by the final version, things seem pretty great. still, there will never be a moment when every app is in balance with the OS. it's always a "journey not a destination:".  

I assure you that there are many hundreds if not thousands of people who work at Apple et al who take immense pride in the fact that people like you feel the way that you do ... as they slog through the never-ending stream of bug-reports and issues on their internal "Radar" system.  Indeed, they are among the very best in the world at what they do.

FW Focusrite Saffire Le is not supported since El Cap (or even Mavericks maybe) but it works fine using the FW400-800 adaptor. Don't know for Sierra though. But!!!! It is its SaffireControlLe software the problem: it works but god it is sluggish as hell, almost unusable. Probably just a video refresh thing.

So please Focusrite team, would you take some time to rewrite this software and put a stamp "Not Supported" on it  :wink:

Oh and I just found that (or did found that in the past, do not really remember) that clicking Save and Cancel would make it really more responsive. 

85803031_ScreenShot2016-09-27at3_21_46PM.png.6e6dcb2d640285a6799f1970c42f15d2.png

806545354_ScreenShot2016-09-27at3_21_21PM.png.db832f00b0c4efb6f42a243a344d74bc.png

Edited by stratquebec

Definitely!

I guess that the initial intended goal is simplicity, but in the end, the implementation reality drifts away from that...

Edited by Atlas007

I don't understand Apple (and other software companies) did not grasp yet that what the majority of users are after is simplicity and reliability.

+1

Yep, hating Apple these days!!

I haven't updated since Mountain Lion, and so missing out on some Logic fx, drums etc. Tried updating to Yosemite, but it's just pushing me to this obviously dangerous Sierra.

+1

Yep, hating Apple these days!!

I haven't updated since Mountain Lion, and so missing out on some Logic fx, drums etc. Tried updating to Yosemite, but it's just pushing me to this obviously dangerous Sierra.

sierra is new; why is it' dangerous'? and apple is just doing what all businesses do: attempting to attract new customers/re-interest old customers. why haven't you updated since ML, if you're 'missing out' on some logic stuff?  anyway, am running sierra here, and logic X seems happy (which is what i care about most).

My Roland A88 is completely gone. But I'm worried about the impact of the disclosed method to remove "System Integrity Protection" from my IMAC. I am not an advanced user, however, may figure out how to follow instructions. Is there a big "security risk" or "functional risk" associated with removing the SIP. Thanks in advance! 

Kind Regards Mummy Sound

My Roland A88 is completely gone. But I'm worried about the impact of the disclosed method to remove "System Integrity Protection" from my IMAC. I am not an advanced user, however, may figure out how to follow instructions. Is there a big "security risk" or "functional risk" associated with removing the SIP. Thanks in advance! 

Kind Regards Mummy Sound

i you need to, for instance, install a driver and the OS is not letting you.... disable SIP (follow the instructions online, it's easy); for example:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-turn-off-mac-os-x-system-integrity-protection-rootless-3638975/

don't forget 'reboot' after you're done in terminal; when you're back at the finder. install the driver, check your A88. then boot again into recovery, and re-enable SIP; reboot, and you should be fine.

Unfortunately. It did not work. I removed the SIP as directed in Terminal. Reinstalling driver and recreated SIP. I checked the status of the prompt and the SIP was interrupted. What happens is that the keyboard lights up at the start of reboot and turns off when Imac are loading the desktop before I log in with my password. I also made a walkaround and deleted the relevant files in Midi Device Scripts. But no help.

I want to get back to EL Capitan. How is it possible .. Kind regards

PS. I have had no problems or messages from Imac connection. loading the driver in the Sierra before (or after) the interruption of SIP. It IS the right driver from Roland SUpport!

unfortunately Time Machine doesn't back up the cache folder, so manual copies of the file inside the folder audio units cache inside the caches folder are recommended if you want to preserve your setup as it was without having to re-run the plugin manager auths.This method seems to be working well for me as I said above. Your results may vary. Also you might try the force AU reg utility which I use in conjunction with the cache method. (the force Au utility works best if you disable it and then re-enable it twice after that for some reason) anyone wanting to try it just google it and you will likely find a link to it somewhere on the web. I've not seen any ill effects from using either method for a couple years so far on LP9 and LPX.

Roland have a macOS Sierra compatibility page https://www.roland.com/global/support/support_news/1609211012/  , indicates that midi controllers A-49, A-88, and APRO 300/500/800 are 'under testing'.

UA have updated their macOS Sierra compatibility page, and are promising partial compatibility in November but not promising full compatibility until early 2017. 

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/210208926-macOS-10-12-Sierra-Compatibility-Info

As mentioned earlier disabling SIP allows drivers to load.