macOS Sierra - Not supported Software and Hardware

I don't think it's a very popular plugin but I got confirmation from the developper that Sonic Projects OP-X PRO II is working in Sierra. They say they didn't test thoroughly yet but all seems fine. For people using this great Oberheim emulation... Thanks.

i should check that out. my first synth was an OB X (i inherited it from my brother). it CRUSHED the later OB Xa... a fat sound, deep, rich (side-by-side, the Xa was a lot thinner).

anyway, got a lot of use out of it. thanx for mentioning this, will take a listen...

Not sure I think that installing a component form an older OS  nto the new one is  such a good idea. Personally, I would wait until all the plugins you heavily use are compatible. That is what I did, and I am glad that I did because now, everything works as it should.

what's the harm in this? it will work, or not. sometimes we need to try workarounds, hacks... tricks, to get things where we want them. i mean, if it's your computer, and you want to try something... why not? (as long as you accept the consequences). ultimately, all our software is unpredictable & full of 'bugs' anyway.

there's nothing wrong with playing it safe. but also, nothing wrong with taking chances... after all, great art is often born out of risk, adventure.

Not intending to flame up the debate, but usually when harm happens it's often down the road, unnoticeable at first and often too late to be remembered which hack could be the cause of the arising issue...

OTOH, adventure and art are indeed often born out of risk, but not so much with software coding...

2 things: 

sometimes an issue takes time to show up, and sometimes it's immediate; ie you install something, and all hell breaks loose. 

also, am saying that, if you think something (ie "installing an old auvultool") might help a situation, and it does... it's a good (and perhaps) brave move; the bottom line is to get (back) to work. software coding is something else, perhaps born of risk,  but then finessed into something that (hopefully) doesn't cause problems by the time it's released into the  world...

2 things: 

sometimes an issue takes time to show up, and sometimes it's immediate; ie you install something, and all hell breaks loose. 

also, am saying that, if you think something (ie "installing an old auvultool") might help a situation, and it does... it's a good (and perhaps) brave move; the bottom line is to get (back) to work. software coding is something else, perhaps born of risk,  but then finessed into something that (hopefully) doesn't cause problems by the time it's released into the  world...

Agreed, and therefore everybody decides what is an acceptable risk and what isn't. I would not put a used part in a relatively new car and I would not put an older OS component in a newer OS unless perhaps the benefits of the new OS were immediately staggering, which I  don't see here as being the case. But for  those who choose to, I wish them smooth sailing.

2 things: 

Agreed, and therefore everybody decides what is an acceptable risk and what isn't. I would not put a used part in a relatively new car and I would not put an older OS component in a newer OS unless perhaps the benefits of the new OS were immediately staggering, which I  don't see here as being the case. But for  those who choose to, I wish them smooth sailing.

you mean this: "installing an old auvaltool will allow validation of plugin alliance AUs in mac OS Sierra10.12.1"?  seems that, for scottkrk, the risk paid off. risk, by definition, is rarely acceptable. 

and now i'll drop it. you & i have already had our 'battle' on this forum, no need for another.

Not sure I think that installing a component form an older OS  nto the new one is  such a good idea. Personally, I would wait until all the plugins you heavily use are compatible. That is what I did, and I am glad that I did because now, everything works as it should.

I agree this workaround has risks and to be clear I am not advocating anyone use this workaround. I am providing information about my experience and the steps I took to reduce  the risk.

Additional Steps to Reduce Risk

• Rather than download an unknown  auvaltool from the internet I used an old auvaltool from a system install on a backup drive.
  • After validating with the old auvaltool I reinstalled the macOS 10.12.1 auvaltool before reenabling  SIP, returning the OS install to its original condition.
  • I tested the plugins and "everything works as it should".
  • If something goes wrong in the future I will delete the User account > Library > CacheAudioUnitCache to force a rebuild of the au cache the next time LPX is launched.

Everyones' risk appetite will be different based on their circumstances, risk has been reduced but not eliminated.....

• 2 weeks later...

I agree this workaround has risks and to be clear I am not advocating anyone use this workaround. I am providing information about my experience and the steps I took to reduce  the risk.

Additional Steps to Reduce Risk

• Rather than download an unknown  auvaltool from the internet I used an old auvaltool from a system install on a backup drive.
  • After validating with the old auvaltool I reinstalled the macOS 10.12.1 auvaltool before reenabling  SIP, returning the OS install to its original condition.
  • I tested the plugins and "everything works as it should".
  • If something goes wrong in the future I will delete the User account > Library > CacheAudioUnitCache to force a rebuild of the au cache the next time LPX is launched.

Everyones' risk appetite will be different based on their circumstances, risk has been reduced but not eliminated.....

How do you reinstall the 10.2.1 auvaltool?

• Disable SIP
  • Finder > Go > Go to Folder> /usr/bin
  • Copy the 10.2.1 auvaltool from the usr/bin directory,  to the desktop for example.
  • Copy the old auvaltool to the usr/bin directory.
  • Validated au's in LPX etc
  • Copy the 10.2.1 auvaltool back to usr/bin directory.
  • Reenable SIP

• Disable SIP
  • Finder > Go > Go to Folder> /usr/bin
  • Copy the 10.2.1 auvaltool from the usr/bin directory,  to the desktop for example.
  • Copy the old auvaltool to the usr/bin directory.
  • Validated au's in LPX etc
  • Copy the 10.2.1 auvaltool back to usr/bin directory.
  • Reenable SIP

Thanks! 

It's annoying having to click the Remind Me Tomorrow option but my Mavericks and El Capitan systems are working perfectly well. My productions are all working perfectly so I'm gonna be hitting that reminder button until I'm forced to update and upgrade. 

I think there is a feature to disable those notifications in the System's Preferences...

It's annoying having to click the Remind Me Tomorrow option but my Mavericks and El Capitan systems are working perfectly well. My productions are all working perfectly so I'm gonna be hitting that reminder button until I'm forced to update and upgrade. 

I think there is a feature to disable those notifications in the System's Preferences...

In El Capitan, and I believe in Mavericks as well, right-click on the Update button next to the update you don't want to be reminded about in the App Store window and select 'Hide Update'. If it's bundled updates - like Safari, iTunes and Security together - you have to click More first and hide each update separately.

Cheers

B

In El Capitan, and I believe in Mavericks as well, right-click on the Update button next to the update you don't want to be reminded about in the App Store window and select 'Hide Update'. If it's bundled updates - like Safari, iTunes and Security together - you have to click More first and hide each update separately.

Cheers

B

Awesome dude. This has been bugging me for a longgggg time.

:-)

I wonder what's the (compulsive) rush to update their OS every year, while the former one still needs ironing?

I don't understand Apple (and other software companies) did not grasp yet that what the majority of users are after is simplicity and reliability.

LOL, believe it or not ~ I am still running Logic 9 even though I bought Logic X as soon as it came out 

Today I am back on this forum with a dilemma: 

I finally feel a compelling need to start using X (at least in a limited capacity) but still don't want to give up on 9.

TWO QUESTIONS 

1) Is it possible to run both Logics on one machine?  (and if so under which systems?) What's the easiest way to put it on a machine it's not on? Migration assistant, Time Machine or can I just reinstall from a fresh download? When I went to the AppleStore it says "BUY" and i do not want to pay for it again that's for sure

2) I have the iConnect MIDI 4+ which allows you to use more than one DAW simultaneously has anyone used this or something similar if it exists to run 9 on one DAW and 10 on the other?

background info:  

These are the macs I have available:  a brand new 13" 2015 running MacOS Sierra - no music apps on it

a 2009 MacBook with Logic 9 and Logic X installed running El Capitan …and my trusty 2008 MacPro running Logic 9

I finally upgraded the 2008 MacPro last year from 10.6.8 to 10.8.5 so I could run Arturia Plug-Ins (which I STILL have barely used) and the older OSX was way more reliable. This year tempted by Arturia's V-COlLLECTION - (tbh really just the SYNCLAVIER) $99 upgrade all over all of my newsfeeds everywhere. Now after days of installation issues I find out it won't run on Logic 9 at all unless I hunt down old previous versions probably smarter to go back to 10.6.8 with Time Machine and dump all this softsynth stuff onto the older laptop? - It has FireWire at least which is a bonus for me since RME FF800 are the heart of my recording setup -  I have 2 of them 

thanks, Pete

@Pete:

1) yes, if you have the correct OS. Would be nice if you updated your signature :P 

2) yes, by using midi ports. 

as far as OS X go: I was never fond of 10.8. My laptop shipped with it, and it worked terribly glitchy and slow. Every release since 10.8 has been better than 10.8 in my opinion(didn't try sierra yet). Currently running 10.11 and its working like a blast.

I don't know what would compell you stay on Logic 9. There's nothing missing in LP X except chord track

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ploki ~ there WERE lots of things missing… but it's nice to see LPX is much improved since it's first release. As far as X's go ~ I definitely prefer Logic 10.2.4 over 10.0.7. Anyway, there are still TONS of people and reasons NOT to upgrade even now ~ mostly cost and compatibility (not just with computers but other outboard gear) . When I ran a quick poll on facebook around the time I posted this ~ way more users told me they are either sticking to LP9 or jumping ship altogether. 

That said ~ after my own initial reluctance I have finally found many compelling reasons to start using LPX myself. The remote functionality with IOS, ease of transferring projects and several of the new tools that have been introduced are a few of those within Logic ~ and as for Sierra SIRI & pasting between devices and way smarter file management have also had a major impact on me. In fact, the 2 Core 13" retina machine running Sierra is so much more powerful than anything else I broke down and decided to finally bite the bullet on a NEW Mac Pro!

For now the questions that remain are only to do with how I will arrange which software on which machines.  

I agree that 10.6.8 was extremely solid ~ so imagine I will use Time Machine to take my original 2008 Mac Pro back to that to run Logic 9 and other legacy softwares on it ~ and keep it on a simple ethernet network with the new Mac Pro to access all it's drives. When the new machine arrives early next week I will update my .sig to reflect the changes. 

Currently working on an album project on the go in both LP9 and LPX on Sierra — since I don't have any history of it between versions I'm not seeing any good reason to use El Capitan on the newer Macs is there something I should know about that?  

• 2 weeks later...

@Pete: Hm, you didn't list one thing that's supposed to be missing though. :)  :P

And to my experience, I'm more comfy working with 10.11 (still didn't update to sierra tho) and 10.2.4 than i was with 10.6.8 and LP9. More stable, less crashing and even when it does crash, autosave works incredibly well.

Everything you should know about sierra is in the first post of this thread afaik. I would update but am running a few projects that I can't afford accidental downtime. never wise to update during a running project.

for me, everything is great... except one small bug; occasionally, when i go to option-drag a region, it doesn't go where i put the cursor, it jumps to a track at the top of the arrange window. weird...

but outside of that, LX10.2.4 and sierra (am on current 10.12.3beta) is fast, and stable; been working a lot, and no crashes in a long time. plus everything else (ie all my 3rd-party plugins) work.