ES2 Porto not working as expected

jonclive

First off, I'm in Logic Pro 9, so I don't know how LPX would respond as I am not using LPX.

I was playing with the ES2 synth and porto/glide setting. Using the CAPS LOCK on-screen keyboard, I could hold one key while pressing/releasing another and I could hear the porto/legato function as I pressed and released one of the "keys." However, when I tried to put this into MIDI notes, it didn't work. It would play the first MIDI note and then porto/glide up to the second, and then stop all sound when the second note was done. It wouldn't go back down to the first note which was being sustained under the the second note. I thought I input the MIDI notes the same as I was playing them on the on-screen CAPS LOCK keyboard, but it's not working the same. See the attached pic for the MIDI setup and the ES2 settings and you'll (hopefully) understand my issue.

Power_Sync_Lead_Not_Using_Porto.thumb.png.066c24af070bcbd7283c3188b14f1ff2.png

My guess is that the function of the CAPS LOCK keyboard inputs differently than MIDI notes so it may never work exactly the same, I'll just have to find a workaround. Thanks though. 

MIDI Notes are MIDI Notes, and it doesn't matter if you generate them with an external MIDI Controller keyboard, with the caps lock keyboard, or if you draw them with your mouse in the Piano Roll. So while I'm not sure why you're experiencing this right now, the reason is not because caps lock is generates different events than when you create the notes with the mouse. 

If you want, attach your project file here so one of us can have a look. 

Also one thing to try: record your caps lock performance on the track, and make sure the synth is triggered the same way upon playback? 

As far as I can tell no. There are no MIDI events besides the notes the themselves. Is there a place to check other than piano roll? Like can I select all / highlight CC#64 in Transform window or something?

You wont see the CC#64 MIDI events (sustain) in the Piano Roll editor, unless you open the MIDI Draw pane, and select that specific CC event type.

Providing that you did not filter them out (in the Event List editor), you should normally see and be able tp deal with them easily using Transform in the Event List editor. Following the Delete volume events (MIDI CC#7) instructions from the MIDI Transform window examples online documentation, replacing the value #7 with the #64 value parameter, should do the trick...

jonclive, try the following: move the region from 1.1.1.1 to 2.1.1.1. Start playback from 2.1.1.1; listen. Start playback from 1.1.1.1; listen again. Does it make a difference?

I ask this because on my system it does. However, it doesn't matter if the region was recorded or drawn into the piano roll. Oh, maybe the recorded long note was a bit late? It seems Logic somehow forgets to hold the first note if playback starts exactly at (or after) the beginning of the note... But there have been issues around the starting position when starting playback ever since I can remember.

jonclive, jope, try the following:

In Project Seetings > Midi > Chase, make sure that Notes is selected, and that Sustained is selected as well.

(by default, Notes are NOT selected, which may cause the issue jope describes, and by the way I thought it might - hopefully - also be useful to mention this in the context of the OP; crossing figers here).

jonclive, jope, try the following:

In Project Seetings > Midi > Chase, make sure that Notes is selected, and that Sustained is selected as well.

(by default, Notes are NOT selected, which may cause the issue jope describes, and by the way I thought it might - hopefully - also be useful to mention this in the context of the OP; crossing figers here).

No, that setting doesn't change anything about ES2's weird behavior here.

What is even more absurd: If you switch ES2 to "Poly", it holds the long note as it should while playing the short ones, no matter from where you start playback. My suspicion is Logic sends some sort of initialization command to all plugins when starting, and ES2 handles it with some delay (when the note already plays) and resets something within its voice distribution algorithm that makes the long note stop in legato mode. When there is some forerun because playback starts earlier before the long note starts, initialization has enough time to complete. My advice is to make sure there is some time before the notes start. (Also make sure you never put anything before 1.1.1.1 because this is a source of bad crashes.) Let your song start at, say, 2.1.1.1, and bounce from 1.4.4.1 or so.

FWIW I cannot reproduce any of those issues in Logic Pro X, even with a long note that starts dead on 1 1 1 1 and the first short note at 1 1 1 2, starting playback at 1 1 1 1, I get the expected glide effect. 

If one of you would like to put a Logic 9 project file where the issue occurs I can open it in Logic Pro X to see if I can reproduce or not. 

FWIW I cannot reproduce any of those issues in Logic Pro X, even with a long note that starts dead on 1 1 1 1 and the first short note at 1 1 1 2, starting playback at 1 1 1 1, I get the expected glide effect. 

If one of you would like to put a Logic 9 project file where the issue occurs I can open it in Logic Pro X to see if I can reproduce or not. 

Here's an example project. Set the playhead to 2.1.1.1 and start: Portamento at its best. Set the playhead to 3.1.1.1 and start: The low note plays, then pitch rises to the high note... And then the sound stops. (That's what happens in LP 9.1.8, OS 10.6.8. I know how to work around such little glitches and I don't want to replace them by upgrading to new bugs. As long as this machine doesn't fall apart :wink:)

NoPortamento.logic.zip

• 2 years later...

I now this thread is a couple of years old but I came across it while experiencing issues with ES2 and stuck/strange note behaviour... for my situation, it came down to checking the midi channels of the recorded notes. During the process of composing and recording different ideas over and over again for the same part, I somehow managed to have notes of different midi channels appearing within the same midi region... So despite the ES2 being set to 'poly', I'd have a note with a midi channel of 9 cut off a note with a midi channel of 1, when they should have been playing at the same time.

You can check if all your notes are on the same midi channel by selecting the region in the Main window, selecting the notes in the Piano Roll and then opening the List Editor at the top right and check the Channel column to see if all the numbers are the same.

Not sure to understand your issue.

You mention about struck/strange note behavior, you voice concerns about different MIDI channel notes being recorded in the same MIDI region, also about notes cutting off other ones from different MIDI channel...

For one, MIDI weirdness are often due to MIDI loops. Therefore investigating your system (controller, connections, drivers?, softwares, etc...) might reveal the source of your problem.

Also to be aware of: different MIDI channel events (notes included) can be recorded and reside in the same region. The question if relevant, how/why that different MIDI channel ended up in there? Inadvertent edition, some parameter changed on the controller, etc...?

Since you have been recording many takes of the same passage, perhaps there are many regions recorded one on top of the other on your track, hidden by the top most one, and all the notes they send together to the ES2, at one point, are eating the available polyphony voices?

Sorry for the confusion... I don’t have a problem any longer... I had a weird midi note issue that I googled for a solution... this discussion was the first result and although it didn’t directly solve my problem, I shortly thereafter did figure it out and posted my solution here for any others led here with similar issues. I’m all good, thanks :)