does logic have a dedicated input mixer

bigbuddha23

hi guys. in pro studios we record through a dedicated Input mixer which controls audio levels, eq. busing , grouping etc to tape. after the signal hits tape we monitor back through a second section of the desk called Tape Monitor Return. or often referred to as the monitor section. i have just moved to logic and i am wondering if there is an seperate input mixer. in Cubase there is a seperate input mixer allowing you to eq, phase reverse, gain control levels to tape etc,( i.e. what the computer is recording or receiving)  and then there is the playback mixer which controls what you are hearing off tape ,through your speakers or the mix buss. within logic i am only finding the mixer for playback and i am wondering if there is another section that i am not finding. i track bands and need to solve this problem. buddha

Yes, Logic has input channel strips in the environment (Not in front of Logic now, should be under New > Channel Strip > Input) which allows you to route and process the signal as desired before it gets recorded into an audio file. The regular mixer you open at the bottom of the Main Window or from the Window menu is your monitoring mixer. 

thanks. so i have opened midi environment, selected new. selected channel strip/input. and achieved 1 channel of input. do you have to replicate this procedure 24 times to get 24 inputs. also can you save a template so it defaults to 24 0r 36 inputs. i run a DDA AMR24 console which has 36 mike channels going to 24 group outs, and also has 36 direct outs. i record through 2 alesis hd24s giving 48 tracks to tape. sometimes i stream this direct to hard disk and often run 24 tracks simultaneous. on cubase i used the dedicated input mixer to control levels eq etc to tape and the general mixer for tape monitor return functions. hope logic can do the same. thanks for any help here boys. buddha

Buddha, yes you have to repplicate the procedure to create in the Environment as many inputs as your actual hardware gear provides. Indeed you can replicate you're hardware setup (creating the necessary objects in the Environment) in a project (or various different projects if you have variations such as 24 vs 36 inputs), and then same this(ese) project(s) as Template(s). Starting new project from the appropriate Template will then save you from recreating the whole environment, it will be already there.