How to make "Region to Loop Library" 24 bit instead of 16

mikey0066
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hey guys

Excited to hear your answer to this one. As I am adding wav samples/loops and converting them to aiff for my apple loops library, I noticed a loss in quality. On further investigation, I realized it was taking 24 bit WAV Files and converting them to 16 bit Aiff files. The loss in the low and top end was significant.  How do I fix this?

Apple Loops made in Logic will be saved as 16-bit.

That should not alter the frequency content, only the available dynamic range. 

You can download the Apple Loop Utility from Apple's developer site if you need to save Apple Loops in a 24-bit format.

Thanks I'll check that Loop Utility out.  I have one other question for you Eric, I have another sample library, with every loop and sample already in aif format, but when I add a loop to the arrange page, it is not in loop format. It just stays at it's original bpm. Is there a quicker way to make those ready for my apple loops library and why aren't they already?

Thanks I'll check that Loop Utility out.  I have one other question for you Eric, I have another sample library, with every loop and sample already in aif format, but when I add a loop to the arrange page, it is not in loop format. It just stays at it's original bpm. Is there a quicker way to make those ready for my apple loops library and why aren't they already?

When you add a region to the Apple Loops Library, make sure "Loop" is checked, and not "One Shot". For that, make sure the region length is an integer number of beats before adding it. 

After the loop was already created, you have to open it in Apple Loops Utility to change that setting (in case the region was an integer number of beats in the original project when you added it to the loops library). 

When you add a region to the Apple Loops Library, make sure "Loop" is checked, and not "One Shot". For that, make sure the region length is an integer number of beats before adding it. 

After the loop was already created, you have to open it in Apple Loops Utility to change that setting (in case the region was an integer number of beats in the original project when you added it to the loops library). 

Yeah, I didn't make the sample library. It was a purchased library, that came in both WAV and AIF. It "claimed" to be apple loop library ready.  Clearly it was not.  I think the overall frustration ( and I know this is talked about all the time, so not trying to beat a dead horse) is that it's all these extra steps to get these samples and loops to work in the Apple Loops Library. I should not have to open Ableton to get this done quickly. I've been with Logic since Logic7 and I'm never going to have this not be my main DAW but they are killing me with this.    Do you guys have any other helpful, advanced tips?   I already had Apple Loops Utility, but I prefer not to use it unless I have to, as again it just slows down the workflow that much more.

Conversion from 24 to 16 bit does NOT affect frequency at all. There must be something else that was bounced during the process. 

But nevertheless. It's kinda strange that nowadays the default for saving new audio files is set to 16bit. 

And there's no way to change it right? Besides the apple utility?

Yeah, I didn't make the sample library. It was a purchased library, that came in both WAV and AIF. It "claimed" to be apple loop library ready.  Clearly it was not.

Did you try using those original files in a project to see if they behave as apple loops? Before converting them I mean?

Yes, so they were delivered at 100bpm and I even set the session to 100bpm. But after dropping them in and changing the tempo, they didn't move.  Also they didn't have that little loop symbol that you see above the region. 

And there's no way to change it right? Besides the apple utility?

To change the bit depth? That's not going to be productive anymore, that would just add a bunch of "zeroes" to the audio samples inside your audio file... a waste of space and processing resources. 

Haha well I know you might think I'm crazy but it (the loop) just doesn't sound as crisp after it was converted, as it does as the original file. I'm listening back to the actual aif converted file, not something that has been stretched out of time etc. 

To change the bit depth? That's not going to be productive anymore, that would just add a bunch of "zeroes" to the audio samples inside your audio file... a waste of space and processing resources. 

Haha well I know you might think I'm crazy but it (the loop) just doesn't sound as crisp after it was converted, as it does as the original file. I'm listening back to the actual aif converted file, not something that has been stretched out of time etc. 

Something else may be going on, for example how are you comparing the sound of the two loops, how are you listening to them? But in any case, converting from 16 to 24 bits won't help you a bit. 

Something else may be going on, for example how are you comparing the sound of the two loops, how are you listening to them? But in any case, converting from 16 to 24 bits won't help you a bit. 

No worries, it may have been just a late night.   I was listening on my Dynaudio MkII.   It might have been psychosomatic, but all good. 

One last question for you David, and I appreciate all your great feedback...  If I drop 20 loops, at 100bpm, in to a session. Session is at 100bpm, so each one is obviously ready to be converted into the loop library using cntrl+shift+O.   My question is,   Is there a way to convert ALL 20 at once, in the session (I know it can be done in Apple Loops Utility)  rather than doing one at a time?