SSDs/Beginner Set Up

Hello Experts,

My macbook pro is about 6 months old and I am just getting started with Logic. I am creating all midi based music. I have an external TB hard drive but I know that I need SSD. I am currently running Logic on my mac hard drive. I haven't made any big projects or anything, I am a complete beginner so I am just familiarizing myself with it.

I am just wondering what the best SSD to buy is? And what should my general set up be? Where should Logic and all the sounds and loops be running from and where should the projects go? Do I need multiple drives for that? 

As I have said, I am just a beginner and I don't need anything fancy yet I am sure, but I am serious about learning and would like to do it right the first time if possible. 

Thank Everybody!

On my Mac Mini I have installed a Samsung 840 Pro 512 meg SSD, keeping  the original 1TB hard drive as well.

The SSD is for the system and all the apps.

The internal HD is for samples, songs back up, audio files.

The thing is that I have an external USB3 512 MB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for Kontakt 5 files.

Kontakt 5 run as direct to disk, and read constantly.

And I use this external SSD when I work on Logic songs.

After every sessions I back up the songs from the external SSD to the internal HD.

When a project is definitely done, I erase it from this SSD, to gain space.

The idea is to have fastest Disks as possible, and no pressure with constant write/read on a spinning HD.

The constant back up on the HD is just in case. When a SSD fail, no way to recover any data, never.

Of course I have also other external HD's for regular clones of EVERYTHING.

I use Superduper for it. Perfect.

And one important thing to know is that if you have small ram amount ( say 4 Gigs ), OS X tend to use HD as virtual memory, and so write and read constantly on it.

Effect : this pressure can exhaust the hd quickly ... So don't forget to upgrade ram. 

How old was that advice? You see, technology keeps improving, and some things you shouldn't or couldn't do a few years ago, are now no longer a problem.

Does TB mean a terabyte or ThunderBolt? If it is a terabyte, how is it connected?

You shouldn't use an external for projects if it is only USB 2.0. However, both thunderbolt and USB 3.0 are fast enough for use with Logic projects. And if you ever have a project that overloads the disk, then you can always copy over the project (folder) to your SSD, and work on it from there, and put it back on the external once you are done with it.

These are the steps:

1. Save, and quit Logic.

2. Copy the project package or project folder (whichever you use) over from your x-ternal to the SSD.

3. Delete the version from the xternal.

4. Open the copy on the SSD, work it, work it, work it.

5. When finished, close the project, then copy it from the SSD to the external.

6. When copying is done, delete the version from the SSD.

How old was that advice? You see, technology keeps improving, and some things you shouldn't or couldn't do a few years ago, are now no longer a problem.

Does TB mean a terabyte or ThunderBolt? If it is a terabyte, how is it connected?

You shouldn't use an external for projects if it is only USB 2.0. However, both thunderbolt and USB 3.0 are fast enough for use with Logic projects. And if you ever have a project that overloads the disk, then you can always copy over the project (folder) to your SSD, and work on it from there, and put it back on the external once you are done with it.

These are the steps:

1. Save, and quit Logic.

2. Copy the project package or project folder (whichever you use) over from your x-ternal to the SSD.

3. Delete the version from the xternal.

4. Open the copy on the SSD, work it, work it, work it.

5. When finished, close the project, then copy it from the SSD to the external.

6. When copying is done, delete the version from the SSD.

Thank you for the advice. It is a terabyte external hd connected by usb 3.0. Do you keep Logic and all the libraries etc on your SSD?

Thank you for the advice. It is a terabyte external hd connected by usb 3.0. Do you keep Logic and all the libraries etc on your SSD?

No, I have a desktop with several internal disks, I keep my SSD as empty as possible - it's just 120 GB. Only the essential content from Logic (about 3 GB?) is on there, the rest is on the other (7200 RPM) disks. If you have a 240 GB SSD or bigger you could probably easily keep all Logics' libraries on the SSD. This gets harder if you also have 3rd party libraries.

No, I have a desktop with several internal disks, I keep my SSD as empty as possible - it's just 120 GB. Only the essential content from Logic (about 3 GB?) is on there, the rest is on the other (7200 RPM) disks. If you have a 240 GB SSD or bigger you could probably easily keep all Logics' libraries on the SSD. This gets harder if you also have 3rd party libraries.

So with my external and the 500GB flash storage will that be enough or should I also get a SSD? Which SSD would you advise I get?